Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghost Solution Suite and ext3 256bit Inode issues

Posted Jul 08, 2009 10:21 PM
    Ive been having fun with the little stealth change that Canonical made with Ubuntu for 8.10 and beyond.

They have changed the default ext3 inode size from 128 bit (which ghost liked) to 256bit  (which ghost doesnt). Apparently there was ment to be a patch released that resolved this issue for GSS 2.5 by allowing larger inode sizes but I have not been able to find it anywhere.

Does this patch exist? and where can it be found?

• 2.  RE: Ghost Solution Suite and ext3 256bit Inode issues

Posted Jul 09, 2009 12:25 AM
    Support for this was added into the various LiveUpdates made to GSS2.5; supporting the large inode filesystems themselves was done early on, and in the final LiveUpdate there were additional changes to deal with Grub on large inode systems - and also Ghost Explorer was included in LU3 so that viewing and editing images with large inodes should work fine too.

[ The first three LiveUpdate packages are *not* cumulative, and should be applied in order; you have to run LiveUpdate multiple times to get them all. A combined roll-up LiveUpdate package has been made and given to Technical Support, but it hasn't been made available through the LiveUpdate download system as yet and may not be for a little while. ]

• 3.  RE: Ghost Solution Suite and ext3 256bit Inode issues

Posted Jul 12, 2009 07:03 PM
    For some reason live update failed on both installs of Ghost Console and Ghost Solutions Suite 2.5.

I created a clean machine (Just XP and patches) Installed GSS 2.5 and had the updates fail saying there was not enough space, then after fiddling around I had an error saying it was an internal authentication error.
    I cleaned the settings out from the Application Data folder and the Downloads folder, still the same error. I went and removed the installed version of live update and installed the latest of the Symantec downloads page, and ended up with the same error.

Its worth noting that we had no problems updating Ghost Console or Ghost Solution Suite 2.0.2.

So the list of errors:
    LU1866: Not enough space to download this update (with over 100GB free).

After deleting settings and previously downloaded data:
    LU1866: Not enough space to download this update (with over 100GB free).

After much mucking about (reinstalling latest version, cleaning out settings and data again)
    Error 6004: Interal Authentication Failed for <some file> Run LiveUpdate again.....

Then after running again, apparently there are NO updates.

Any ideas... this is just getting rediculous.

• 4.  RE: Ghost Solution Suite and ext3 256bit Inode issues

Posted Jul 12, 2009 10:35 PM
    Unfortunately resolving problems with LiveUpdate itself is something where you really need to engage the Technical Support folks; we developers for the individual products can't help with that, since LiveUpdate is a shared Symantec-wide system. I've personally never seen LiveUpdate fail (and I just did a fresh GSS install and LU'd it just fine, so the core LU system seems to be fine) but being a shared system the regular front-line support are more likely to know how to diagnose problems with it.