Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Ghosting GX-740 using Ghost and Windows 7

Posted Dec 17, 2010 12:42 PM

Hi everyone,

Right now, I'm trying to image a lab of 45 computers with a Windows 7 32-bit OS that uses GhostWalker to assign computer names and add the computer to the domain at the end, but I'm running into problems. We've switching from XP OS to Windows 7 and using Console Version 11.5.1.2266. We're trying to get it where pushing that one time will get everything done like clockwork.

Before I started imaging, I had a problem with getting the computers recognized in Ghost with one computer showing up twice, but I got pass those issues.

After the first imaging, all the computers had the image but one didn't go on the domain (lets call it D1) while another had a failed status in the error report log in the Ghost Console (lets call it B2), but worked fine while the computer that didn't go on the domain (D1) had a Success status. So, I decided to try imaging again except this time I can't get B2 to appear in the Console. Even after restarting the Ghost server. So I replace that computer (which connects to the internet fine), and put another one there which immediately shows up. And then I start the imaging process.

After the second imaging, all the computers had the image and D1 has been added to the domain but is saying the trust relationship between the controller and the workstation has failed while 8 other computers are not on the domain. I used the same config files with the exception of D1, but the information is identical in all the files. I had issues before when using XP with the domain thing, so I removed all the computers from the domain and then prepped them to be imaged again. Now abt 8 to 9 computers won't appear in the console and it appears to be a random thing. its not the same 8 to 9 computers. When you first restart the ghost server, all the computers appear in the console fine, I typically delete and then let them reappear in order to make sure everything is fine. What happens is that abt 8 to 9 computers appear twice. I do the delete/reappear thing again until those same computers don't appear at all in the console. If you restart the ghost server, all will appear in the console as they should be. I did that and right now, the computers are being imaged for a 3rd time.

What exactly could be causing all this? Does anybody have any idea?

Plus, there is another set of computers that I imaged successfully with only one push but they're in separate rooms. They showed and were recognize in the console without any problems. All were added to the domain by using GhostWalker. They are GX-760 computers and we switched them from Vista to Windows 7.

EDIT UPDATE:  After the last imaging process and taking all of them off the domain, we're back to D1 being the only problematic computer and I think it refused to go on the domain because its memory configuration is different. it has one stick of 512 MB RAM while the rest have 2 sticks of 512 RAM. Somebody let me know if I'm wrong. The rest of the computers imaged just fine though.

I would still like to know whats the console and it not recognizing the computers though.

Monique

• 2.  RE: Ghosting GX-740 using Ghost and Windows 7

Posted Dec 17, 2010 07:50 PM

Not sure on the domain but if you are using the winpe512 for your preos it may be having issues with the D1 because it only has 512 megs of ram and the video card is probably using some of that 512 if it is the on board video.     The winpe512 needs 512 megs of ram to build a ram drive in.  

Based on that you are having mostly a success with D1 I presume that you are using the winpe  rather than winpe512.     But I am just putting that out since a machine with 512 megs of ram doesn't have 512 megs available to PE as a genneral rule.   It would be a quick test to put in a second stick of ram and see if that takes care of it.

Good luck on the the other issues, what is your domain controller 2003 or 2008? There were some changes in how they deal with domain joining and there are some security downgrades that can be done to make it more like the 2003 DC and you may have more luck with those settings.

cheers.