Video Screencast Help

Granular restore of Exchange 2010, using BE 2010 and VMware agent

Created: 17 Jun 2010 | 1 comment

I have an Exchange 2010 server running as a VM in vSphere/ESX4.0 with all the patches.  I am using vCenter as well.  The BackupExec 2010 agent is installed on it.

When I run regular backups connecting directly to the agent, everything works just fine.  I am able to go back and select and restore individual messages with no problem.

I made a copy of the 'example' VMware agent policy that comes with BE 2010 and pointed it at a selection list consisting only of the Exchange server, connected through the vCenter agent and then down through the folder where the VM lives.  The backup runs fine, and it looks like I could restore individual regular NTFS files if I wanted to by navigating to the machine's name in the restore selection list but when I browse the "Microsoft Information Store" I only see the jobs I ran with the regular agent...I do not see any way to do a granular restore from the job run with the VMware agent.

What am I missing?

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

PaulBell's picture

To wit, the following options are chosen in the policy:

EXCHANGE -- Use Backup Exec Granular...

VMWARE --
Method: full
Backup virtual machines that are powered off - check (the VM is not powered off in the test above)
User Backup Exec Granular Recovery Technology - checked
Microsoft Active Diretory -- enabled using virtual machine credentials
Exchange - ditto
SQL - ditto

Just for giggles I explicitly added Exchange to the job and it works, but the size of the backup tells me it's backing Exchange up separately and not using the VMware part at all.