Video Screencast Help

GRT will not work in backup exec 2012

Created: 04 Oct 2012 | 3 comments

We are backing up both Exchange 2010 and SQL 2005 and 2008 servers.

We keep getting this exception in the backup exec logs indicating that we will not be able to perform granular restoration on these machines.

Backup- VRTSRV::\\SVR10\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\ Exch 2010
V-79-57344-38727 - Backup Exec failed to snap virtual machine 'Exch 2010' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

I've read several links associated with this error, and here is what I have checked on so far as per Symantec's KB Article:TECH155335 :

1. The latest version of backup exec agent is installed

2. Backup exec server can connect to the virtual machine

3. The correct credentials are in use

4. GRT is enabled for both exchange 2010 and SQL server

Some additional information:

1. Trust has been established

2. VSSadmin list providers indicates that the only provider is MS shadow copy v1.0.0.7. The backup job in question is also set to select MS shadow copy for snapshots.

3. VSSadmin list writers indicates no errors.

What else should i be looking for? Is there any kind of logging that i can enable to further troubleshoot this? I know we have the debug and diagnostic tools built into BE but not sure as to which would be better or if there is already a fix for what ails me out there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

What is the version of Backup Exec that you are using.  Also Exchange 2010 GRT feature has its own requirements to work -

1. Exchange 2010 requires a Windows 2008 SP2 or Windows 2008 R2 x64 server with the Exchange 2010 Management tools installed on the server

2. Also as the technote suggests if you are using the HyperV agent for backups then Exchange 2010 setup has to be a single server setup. Distributed setups like DAG are not supported.

3. Confirm if the Exchange disk are not on a GPT disk or folder mounted.

sysad3's picture

We have backup exec 2012 on 2008 R2 x64

Exchange 2010 is working on 2008 R2 x64. Management tools are installed on that server.

Exchange at this point is a singlevirtual server running within a 2008 R2 host..

Exchange is not on a GPT disk or is folder mounted.

Does your comment indicate we need to have the exchange management tools on the backup server as well?

Jaydeep S's picture

Yes it is required on te Media Server as well. Here are some permissions that also would be required

Ensure all the requirements mentioned below are met :
1. Backup Exec Account used for backup must have an active mailbox on the exchange server.
2. The mailbox should not be hidden from the Global Address List
3. Backup Exec "Logon Account" is an explicit member of Local Administrators group in the Exchange Server
4. Backup Exec "Logon Account" is "Unique" inside the Exchange Organization.  See  "How to confirm that an Exchange mailbox name is unique within the Exchange organization when configuring Backup Exec to back up Exchange mailboxes"
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24691
5. Make sure the Exchange 2010 Management tools are installed on the Backup Exec server.
6. Make sure the ID used by Backup Exec is added to the Organization Management group of Exchange Role Based Access Controls (RBAC).

There is a technote for all this -

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73784