Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted Mar 15, 2007 12:23 PM
    Hello,

we have problem with GSS suite 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320.

When creating image from this computer, ghost display an incongrous time remaining
    (204:18:39, 136:12:10, 79:56:20) and the speed increase until a normal speed.
    So, the image is correctly created.

But when we restore this image, it occurs the same thing, but suddenly, after a random time, the speed fall until a timeout client. We never succeded this restore.
    We tried to change the net card, disk, net driver (broadcom 400x, universal), unicast, multicast.... nothing to do, the probleme persists.

We use GSS with a lot of Dell computer and we encounter this problem only with these optiplex 320 that we have just acquired.

Thanx for your help.

• 2.  RE: GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted Mar 16, 2007 03:15 AM
    Hi Pascal,

What kind of hard disks you have in this system? Are they SATA drives?

There were issues in some systems when they use the same interrupt for network card and SATA drives. I was just wondering if it could be the case for this machine.

Krish

• 3.  RE: GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted Mar 16, 2007 04:04 AM
    Hi Krish,

yes it's a SATA disk.

IRQ Netcard : 21
    IRQ ATI SATA Controller : 22

And we tried with another network card (with the integrated chipset Broadcom 440x desactived)
    but no result.

Pascal

• 4.  RE: GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted Mar 26, 2007 12:10 PM
    I've been doing various testing with this same exact scenario and have the same results.  Our image on creation and deployment is listing a very high image time (36 hours) and eventually goes down to the 30-40 minute mark. 

So far I've tried every possible -command line parameter I can think and others people have referenced including:  -fni - fna - slowfile

I have even tried to restore from a DVD and its getting the same restore times as the Ghost cast.  I'd lay money it has something to do with the Optiplex 320 and its SATA controller, but I don't have anything outside of this use-case to support it.

I'm working with Dell to hopefully find an answer, but at this point duplication of hard drives seems to be my only option.

• 5.  RE: GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted Mar 27, 2007 11:48 AM
    Firmware made no difference.  I thought I had tested this prior, but wanted to make sure.  I'm now rebuilding my image from scratch using a brand new drive.  I did notice that my prior image was built upon the Dell OEM Installation and still had the Dell Utility parition on it.  Might make a difference not sure yet, will update once I have the results.

• 6.  RE: GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted Mar 27, 2007 12:15 PM
    Brand new HD, clean XP install:  Same issue

I'm out of ideas at this point, working with Dell to try and find an answer.

• 7.  RE: GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted Apr 04, 2007 10:35 AM
    I was having the same issue with the Dell 320's.  I put in the command -noide and it brought down the time from 15 hrs to 10 min. for ghosting a computer lab of 25 computers.

• 8.  RE: GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted Apr 06, 2007 03:28 AM
    Indeed the -noide option solve the problem... and it works !!!

Thanx for your help.

• 9.  RE: GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted Apr 16, 2007 06:41 AM
    I have had similar problems but with GSS 2.0, I start ghosting a dell 320 which use's a broadcom 440x nic. speed starts at 0 b/m then slowley works its way up to about 60 b/m then totally drops off and only does 1 b/m, the time shown by the dell is in the 100 hours left till compleation. where as the server, where the ghost console is says different. I have tried new drivers but still no luck!!

I have read about -noide command being used for this problem but cant not find it as a option or paramater in the GSS 2.0 console.

Have also tried using a boot cd instead of using the ghost cast console to start the ghosting but get an error with writing to the HDD. Which i know isnt the problem as the HDD Is fine and works with other computers.

My preffered way of ghosting will be to use the ghost cast console to start the ghosting as i have 80 dells which do not have cd/dvd drives.
    I know its not the server as i have other brands of computer and they ghost alot quicker.

If anybody has any ideas please get back to me as soon as possible!!

• 10.  RE: GSS 1.1 and Dell Optiplex 320

Posted May 04, 2007 03:03 AM
    Hi,

the BIOS upgrade to 1.1.5 solve the problem.