Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

• 1.  GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted May 16, 2007 05:47 AM
    Hi 4 all,

Could anyone help me please ? Here my problem:
    I'm testing the Drive Mapping Boot Package with the Boot Wizard and I'm using Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 (evaluation license).
    I've created a BootCD for a XP workstation to map a network share on my Windows2003 network, but when
    I put my credentials I receive the messagge Error 5: Access has been denied.
    Same error when I trie to map a share on my Domain Controller or on a Member Server (both win2003).
    In the support documentation I found the Solution ID n2003091910285225 (Access Denied while performing a drive mapping operation to Windows 2003 Server) and I applied the modifications suggested in the document
    (on both server - Domain Controller Security Policy and Member Server Local Security Policy) but no result, I receive always the same error messagge Access Denied.

Any other suggestion ?

thanks

• 2.  RE: GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted May 16, 2007 10:27 PM
    Hi,

There was a discussion on this in the forum thread

However, your symptoms may be slightly different. When it is the NTLM2 problme, you can map the drive letter, but when you try to access it (say with Dir command), there is an access denied error. But in your case it seems that you can't map the network drive at all.

Is that correct?

Did you try using a different user?

Krish

• 3.  RE: GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted May 23, 2007 06:51 AM
    Hi Krish,
    you're right. I can't map any network drive at all. The strange is that I can't map a network share on a windows 2000 server (just a member server) either.
    I've tried to use a different user but always same result.

So I decided to change my boot package.
    I've created a Network Boot CD with nework support for GhostGasting.
    At the beginning my client wasn't able to contact the GhostCast Server (I received always the msg error 10030)
    but I fixed it (on the GhostCast Server the McAfee VirusScan 8.0 blocked port 6666).

So I created an image file of one computer (with no floppy disk). Now the problem is when I trie to restore my image file to another computer (same model of the ghosted one):
    When I boot on the second computer where I want to restore my image file and I follow the steps to locate the GhostCast server and load the image file, the system ask me to write the GHOSTERR.TXT on the floppy which is not present and I receive the messagge error "Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT insert diskette (434).
    Is there a way to by pass the floppy disk ? If I trie to change the position for the ghosterr.txt file it doesn't work.
    How can I do ? The computer where I want to restore my image doesn't have a writable CD and Floppy disk.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted May 24, 2007 03:48 AM
    Hi,

Unable to map a share could be another policy set by the domain. One way to check it is if you have a workgroup machine (preferably a fresh install, that was never a member of a domain) and trying this out.

However, using GC server is a better way to deploy the image than using a share. It is likely to work faster and you can image multiple machines at once if the need arises.

Ghost try to wirte the error log only it fails to perform the operation. This means, the operation already failed for some reason. Depending on the boot disk you used, there is a RAM drive available, probably C:. Could you try to enter c:\ghosterr.txt in the dialog box and see if it writes it?

However, Ghost should give an error message before asking you to put a floppy. Even after failing to write usually it displays the message in DOS after exiting. That may be enough to find what the problem is.

Krish

• 5.  RE: GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted May 25, 2007 08:57 AM
    Hi,

I boot my client (where I want to restore my image file) with a Network Boot CD with network support for GhostGasting. I've created a new one (same as before) but with the parameter -afile=c:\errorfile.txt.
    But no luck, the system ask me again to write the errorfile to the floppy even if on the Ghost dialog box I write c:\errorfile.txt. At this point I can only press cancel on the dialog box and a  Error windows tell me:
    Usage Error 11136 ghost Trialware is only be able to be used via the Ghost Console, or to deploy Ghost Boot Partitions.

I did a quick search in the forum but I can't find any Post about this error.
    I'm just wondering how can I evaluate a software with a trial license if I'm not able to test the basic functionality ?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted May 28, 2007 02:14 AM
    Hi,

I should have spotted this earlier, but did not realize till I see the error message.

Ghost exe in trialware is a restricted version, which does not allow using Ghost interactively. You need to run a task through Ghost console.

Do you plan to use Ghost Console or just want to use Ghost.exe manually?

Krish

• 7.  RE: GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted Jun 01, 2007 05:18 AM
    Hi Krish,

I received my official license and now all works fine. So I was able to create a image file via Ghost Cast Server and to restore it using the parameter afile.

Now my next step is to create an image using the sysprep. Shortly I'll have to build many computers from a standard image (all the computers are same model and hardware), and I just wondering how to manage the OEM XP license. Do you have any suggestion about it ? Should I use a response file ?
    I'm looking for some documentation about ghosting with sysprep.

Thanks Marco

• 8.  RE: GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted Jun 02, 2007 10:27 PM
    Hi Marco,

There is no built-in support to manage OEM licenses. License key is in sysprep.inf file, and since the file is already in the image, all the computers will get the same file and use the same key. This is OK for volume licenses but not for OEM licenses, since each has a unique key.

Some users workaround this issue by writing a script to modify the key in sysprep file before boot. There are tools in GSS to read/write Windows files while in DOS. If you copy the file, then modify the license key and write it back, client will pickup that key.

Let me know if you like to try it, I will give more details.

Krish

• 9.  RE: GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted Jun 06, 2007 10:36 AM
    Hi Krish,

sorry about it but I'm a little bit confused...As I understood from the Microsoft's whitepaper (KB302577) it's possible to use the sysprep utility with an answer file (that must be created with the setupmgr utility), by this way I should be able to put during the restore process the OEM key and than activate it.

Is it right, or am I wrong ? In any way if you can give me more details about the script that you've mentioned
    I'll appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Marco

• 10.  RE: GSS 2.0 - Access Denied mapping a windows 2003 share

Posted Jun 07, 2007 12:33 AM
    Hi Marco,

Yes, you are correct. It is possible to enter the OEM key in the answer file. Answer file resides in the \sysprep folder of the hard disk.

But when you send the same image to many machines, they all get the same answer file, then the same key. If you are imaging one computer at a time, you can change it but not when imaging multiple computers at once.

The solution I was thinking was to change the product key after imaging, but before boot by executing an script using command execution.

However, there may be other solutions users already use. May be you can post a new thread, it is interesting to see what else could be done. I am sure this is a situation many users face. I have seen very innovative solutions posted in the forum.

Let me know how you want to image computers (how many at once, where the images are stored etc.,) so that I can see if command execution is the best way.

Krish