Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS 2.01 and SYSPrep

Posted Jun 20, 2007 05:31 PM
    I am sysprep dumb.  I used the option to run sysprep proir to creating image, and then when I put the image on another Machine the answer file could not be located.  I have no clue if I am supposed to make it and put it in a certain directory in the image or if ghost does that as it makes the image.

Please give me some insite.

Thanks,

David

• 2.  RE: GSS 2.01 and SYSPrep

Posted Jun 20, 2007 07:26 PM
    Hi David,

Your problem could be that the answer file was being placed in an incorrect folder or the answer file is incorrect.  What is your machine's OS?

On Vista platform, the default folder to hold a sysprep answer file is \windows\panther folder.  If the answer file is located in another place, you need to run sysprep from command prompt and use /unattend switch to specific the answer file.  You can use GhostExplorer to modify the answer file after created the image.

In general,
    If you use multicasting to create sysprep's image, the sysprep part needs to be set up manually and run prior to create an image.  If you use Ghost Console to create a sysprep image, After you created a sysprep configuration and load correct sysprep stuff, the Console will take care the rest in am image create task.

The Ghost implementation guide pdf file chapter 23 - "setting up sysprep" will give you some ideas on this feature.

Hope this helps,
    Jenny

• 3.  RE: GSS 2.01 and SYSPrep

Posted Jun 20, 2007 08:36 PM
    Jenny,

The OS I am imaging is xp pro sp2 with all updates.  When I setup the Create new Image task  I told the console to run sysprep during that task and have sysprep change sid when cloned to another machine.  After the image was created I looked at the sysprep.inf file in the sysprep folder of the image and it was blank.  I don't know if I should have added switches that I didnt or if I did something else wrong.  I will look at that section again in the morning and see if I missed something.  I thought the default switches that the console runs on sysprep would be right, maybe I was wrong.

Any more information would be appreciated.

David

• 4.  RE: GSS 2.01 and SYSPrep

Posted Jun 20, 2007 10:44 PM
    Have you put sysprep.inf in the same folder as the other sysprep files?

To run sysprep on XP, it requires minimal three files sysprep.exe, setupcl.exe & sysprep.inf and they should be placed in one folder.  The first two can be found from xp sp2 CD support\tools\deploy.cab, I believe you can download it from MS web site.  You can use setup manager "setupmgr.exe" to create sysprep.inf.  It is a plain text file and editable with any text editor.  When creating a xp sysprep configuration in the Ghost Console, all three files will be loaded and stored in the Console, they will be pushed into client during an image create task.

Cheers,
    Jenny

• 5.  RE: GSS 2.01 and SYSPrep

Posted Jun 21, 2007 06:34 AM
    I take it you have created the Sysprep answer file and pointed console at it's location?

Did you put a tick in the "Run The MiniSetup wizard which processes the sysprep.inf file (required for windows XP Professional)" box?

Message Edited by J_Keen on 06-21-200703:44 AM

• 6.  RE: GSS 2.01 and SYSPrep

Posted Jun 21, 2007 09:20 AM

This is a copy of the task scenario, though I am not sure what it will tell you.  I was going to post an SS of the ghost explorer and the sysprep.inf file in it, but the forum will not let me.  What I dont understand is why the sysprep program did not write anything the the sysprep.inf file when it was created.

Task : Tests\GhostTestDeploy

Task steps :

Clone

Client Inventory

Number of client machines: 1

Machine names:

GHOSTTEST1 - admin

Network Information:

Data transfer mode: Not set

Data throughput limit: Not set

Clone

Image definition: Images\Test images\GhostTest1TestImage

Image file location: E:\TestImages\GhostTest1Test.gho

Target drive: 1

Image info:

1 - NTFS - 9750.4 - 5909.5

Image file preserved: No

Files and directories preserved: 0

[quote]

Did you put a tick in the "Run The MiniSetup wizard which processes the sysprep.inf file (required for windows XP Professional)" box?

Message Edited by J_Keen on 06-21-200703:44 AM

[/quote]

Yes I did check this box.

• 7.  RE: GSS 2.01 and SYSPrep

Posted Jun 21, 2007 06:03 PM
    Hi David,

Thanks for posting the cloning task scenario, it helps us to understand what you want to do.  But the problem in this thread is after restored the sysprep'd image, the mini-setup doesn't go smoothly (or broken).  Please correct me if I haven't fully understood your problem.

If this is the case, let's take one step back and check whether the sysprep answer file is correct or not.  This is a manual process.  You need to create a folder called "sysprep" at the root of a XP machine (we normally call it as model machine).  The sysprep folder should have minimal three files - sysprep.exe, setupcl.exe, & sysprep.inf.  Run sysprep by double click the sysprep.exe, check "use mini-setup", in the shutdown mode box select "reboot" and click "reseal".  The machine will run sysprep first then reboot.  During the reboot, mini-setup will be run.  This is a good way to check your answer file.  If you have any problem with your answer file, please sent it to my gmail account at fujhome@gmail.com.

If you pass the answer file test, can you please post your imange create task's scenario.

Thanks,
    Jenny