Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS 2.5 Deploying image to Dell Dimension 5150

Posted Jan 26, 2011 04:37 PM

Here is a strange problem ...

I am trying to deploy an image taken from a Dell 5150 using the Ghost Console.  I have the machines imported into a group.  When I try to deploy this image, I get an error during the virtual partition phase.  It says "Drivers cannot be found in the Pre-OS for the following devices.  Linksys LNE100TX Fast ethernet adapter v4".  The Device Manager on the physical machine does not show a Linksys device.  The registry does not have a reference to a Linksys device.  I ran a Ghost inventory on the machine, and sure enough, there is a Linksys LNE100TX adapter listed under Network Adapters.  There are no virtual machines on the physical machine or its image.

I have tried a fix from the forums by adding the appropriate device reference in the pci.manifest.txt file and the skip.pci.manifest.txt file.

PCI VENDOR:0x1317

PCI DEVICE: 0x985

PCI Subsystem: 0x5741317

So the added lines are:

}{

0x1317 = {

0x985 (0x5741317)

}

}

I've added the drivers for the Linksys LNE100TX adapter.  The kicker is that the v4 driver is not for XP.  The V5 driver is, and this is an XP image that I am trying to deploy.

Any ideas on how to deploy the image to the 5150's through the Ghost console?

Aelantha

• 2.  RE: GSS 2.5 Deploying image to Dell Dimension 5150

Posted Jan 27, 2011 04:08 AM

If you are booting to WinPE, you need the VISTA 32 bit driver, as WinPE is based on the Vista Kernel. The actual operating system you are deploying is irrelevant as the boot system is using WinPE.

One further thing to check - is it possible that your machine has more than one NIC ?

• 3.  RE: GSS 2.5 Deploying image to Dell Dimension 5150

Posted Jan 27, 2011 12:45 PM

Nope.   Just one NIC.  It's an Intel Pro 100 VE.  There are no virtual adapters either. 

• 4.  RE: GSS 2.5 Deploying image to Dell Dimension 5150
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 27, 2011 03:58 PM

Since WinPE is looking for a Linksys LNE100TX v4 driver for Vista, I recompiled WinPE with the v4 driver, but I checked the box next to Vista as one of the OSes supported by that driver.  The Dell 5150s don't have a Linksys LNE100TX card, only an Intel Pro 100 card.  The Linksys driver never loads, and Ghost is now happily deploying images because it thinks that it has the Linksys LNE100TX v4 driver for Vista!

• 5.  RE: GSS 2.5 Deploying image to Dell Dimension 5150

Posted Jan 27, 2011 04:34 PM

For the record, could you confirm which build of GSS 2.5 you are working with?  The latest build available via LiveUpdate is 2266.

This looks like GSS is mis-detecting the NIC on your DELL system.

If you go into device manager, what is the full PNP ID of the NIC in your Dell system?

• 6.  RE: GSS 2.5 Deploying image to Dell Dimension 5150

Posted Jan 31, 2011 12:34 PM

The Linksys NIC is not listed in Windows XP, which is what I have loaded on the machine.  The only NIC that shows up in the Device Manager is the Intel Pro100 NIC.  It is the onboard NIC, and it is the only NIC physically installed on the machine. The inventory taken by Ghost also lists device 10 as a Linksys LNE 100TX Fast ethernet adapter under the Network Adapters.  The Network Adapter configuration shows a driver and MAC address assigned to the NIC.  It is NOT physically in the system. 

The build is 11.5.2266.