Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

GSS 2.5.1 - Error refreshing configuration - Bad configuration data for new or refreshed machine

Created: 16 Sep 2013 • Updated: 24 Sep 2013 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi all (third time of asking - due to machine/app crashes and forum server faults - I should really compose this off-line!)

It's been a while since I used GSS but I had a need to re-image our Dell Latitude laptops, so I broke out the GSS Console. Apart from being a bit rusty, most things I have managed to work around, but I can seem to figure this error when I run a task the Refreshing the Configuration of a machine. I see this error:

Error refreshing configuration.

(MAC: 5C-26-0A-**-**-**) Bad configuration data for new or refreshed machine.)
Error loading registry keys for Network Component Root\NET\0000 at SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\NET\0000
Error loading registry keys for Network Component Root\NET\0000 at SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\NET\0000
Unable to get Default Gateway - not able to locate Default Gateway value in configuration
Unable to get Default Gateway - not able to locate Default Gateway value in configuration
Unable to locate any Network Adapter class instance
Unable to locate IP Config settings key getting IP Address
Unable to locate any Network Adapter class instance
Unable to locat?

The odd thing is that the client seem to work pretty much OK other than this (Image create, restore, inventory update - I can even set a new configuration, such a laptop name and join to a domain), and I pretty sure if was working OK before.

• Guest client OS - Windows 7 64 bit
  • GSS Server OS - Windows 2008 R2 VM
  • GSS Version 2.5.1 (11.5.1.2266)

I have found several thread and article on this site, but nothing seems to lead through to a conclusion or disappears into another problem.

This is what I have tried to do so far.

• Remove the Ghost client from the laptop - including removing the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Ghost" folder. I can then remote install the client successfully from the GSS console. The client connects with no issues, but no .DMP file is created.
  • Remove the machine form the GSS Console. The client then immediately adds a machine back into the console but with the name of a its MAC address.
  • The "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Ghost\db\data" on the server shows several machines with "err" appended to it. I did look in this file but I could not make head nor tail of it
  • The drivers on both the Reference guest Laptop  and GSS Server are fully up to date.

As this is the reference machine for the image, I think the problem will propagate as I deploy the image - or at least I have run a test and deployed one image and this was the case.

Anyone any ideas?

Chris

Operating Systems:

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

What operating system?

What build version of 2.5.1 ?

Have you checked whether the stated path exists in your target machine's registry?  If you have a 32 bit client on a 64 bit operating system, it may not be able to access the 64 bit areas of the registry - for example.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

Swinster's picture

Hi Edt,

What operating system?

What build version of 2.5.1 ?

I think I mentioned the OS, and GSS version in the initial post:

• Guest client OS - Windows 7 64 bit
  • GSS Server OS - Windows 2008 R2 VM
  • GSS Version 2.5.1 (11.5.1.2266)

WRT the registry values - the machine is just going an image create task so I will check after. However, this "may" give me a clue as to why thing have go wrong. The refernce machine is currently booted into a Sysprep 'Audit' mode. Gnerally, the sysprep prompt is canceled, then after aditional audit and installs, the machine rebooted. I'm not sure if the sysprep app was ever invoked agaiin, although this should have only forced the sysprep back into audit mode. Not sure if this then re-jigs the drivers, but I didn't think this happened until sysprep was run to boot into an OOBE with a generalise and run PnP.

I run the final sysprep from an answer file added to GSS.

Chris

Swinster's picture

Hi Edt,

Ok, the registry entry is there. At least there is a key at :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\NET\0000

Which I assume is what GSS is grumbling about above. However, beneath this key is a Properties key, which was looks like it had screwed up permissions. When I tried to view this key I got the error, "access denied".

Still, I was able to view the permission which were all blank and with no owner. I tried to set the owner to the "administrators" group, although I kept getting an error that I didn't have to correct permissions! I tried to set the permission on the container to the admin group, but still no joy.

So I had to close the permissions dialog, then all of a sudden I could view the properties (which were now inherited as was the same with the other keys, and the owner was set correctly - go figure????

I can now see 2 additional Keys below the Properties, although there are no values and any of the keys.

Unfortunately, now of this resolved the problem - I still get the same error when I run the Configuration Refresh task.

The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\NET\0000 key has something to do with a "Cisco AnyConnect" VPN client that I have installed as part of the image preperation.

Any other ideas?

EdT's picture

There is something in the back of my mind about Ghost not liking multiple NICs, and so I'm wondering whether the presence of the VPN client is causing the problem. Are you able to remove the client and its registry entries and see if that helps with your problem?

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

SOLUTION
Swinster's picture

Ah ha. I remove the Cisco VPN client and reboot (just for good measure), run a config refresh and All worked as expected.

Of course, ideally, I would want the VPN client added into the image. I might try a quick re-install just to prove the point.

There are of course multiple adapters on this system in any case, as there would be on most moder systems (Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Blue-tooth, plus multiple virtual tunnel adapters).

Unfortunately GSS is EoL (great, great shame - but thats another story), but I'm not sure if I read about a patch being available - I maybe confusing this with an even earlier version of GSS.

Swinster's picture

Nope - re-installed the Cisco VPN, rebooted, refeshed - and same problem.

Of course, it down't matter when I install the client (it WILL have to be installed after image deployment), GSS will STILL have an issue refreshing the configuration of ANY machine once it is installed.

Is there any work around to this which keeping the VPN client installed?

EdT's picture

The approach I would use in this scenario would be to install the VPN client, then rename the associated registry keys so that the client is inactive after a reboot. Then try imaging. After imaging, rename the registry keys and reboot and see if all is functional again.

Of course you can delete and then reinstall the registry keys rather than renaming - the ultimate intention is to have the necessary files installed but deactivate them during the imaging process.

There has been a Ghost update to support Windows 8, I believe, but it is only available to those with a valid support agreement, which is pretty much no-one as the lack of ghost development in the past few years made having a support agreement a pointless waste of money.

Swinster's picture

Thanks Edt,

Yeah - I sympathise with the whole sorry mess of Ghost's on going development. A great product simply buried.

WRT the the driver and configuration refresh issue. I have removed then re-installed the application after the image deployment. Of course this doesn't stop the configuration refresh from failing at a later date (if required).

Chris