Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS 2.5.1 --- Problems adding drivers to WinPE

Posted Jun 29, 2011 03:27 AM

Hi There

I am evaluating GSS 2.5.1 as a replacement for the very old Ghost Corp 7 currently being used. I am having trouble getting the drivers for the network card sorted out in the WinPE environment. I have the Vista 32bit drivers and I add them to the WinPE pre-boot environment without any errors, but when I PXE boot the client it loads WinPE and eventually starts scrolling on the screen saying "trying to poll server xyz etc..." over and over.

Currently using MS dhcp server with the bootserver and bootfile (pxeboot.n12) options enabled so that the clients can locate the tftp server. I presume its a networking issue, but its frustrating the living daylights out of me. If it was'nt for the fact that its a dual-boot image i'm using I would have probably looked elsewhere by now.

Any pointers will be appreciated. Oh, and I have tried the PC-DOS option, but when I boot the pxe client it says that it has not got enough conventional memory to continue.

Thanks

Karl

• 2.  RE: GSS 2.5.1 --- Problems adding drivers to WinPE

Posted Jun 29, 2011 05:59 AM

There are two steps to adding drivers to a WinPE image. The first is the obvious step of adding the drivers, which need to be added as INF, CAT and SYS files plus any support DLLs (and not in EXE format).

Once added, the drivers then need to be selected before you create a new WinPE boot image.

If you are unsure that you have the correct drivers for your NIC, create a WinPE bootable USB device, and add the drivers to a folder on the USB device. Boot WinPE from the USB device and exit to a command prompt. Locate the drive letter that the USB device is mounted on, change directory to the folder containing your driver files and type DRVLOAD <full path to driver INF file>

A successful driver load will be reported at the command line. You can then try doing an IPCONFIG /release and IPCONFIG /renew and see if that all works.

• 3.  RE: GSS 2.5.1 --- Problems adding drivers to WinPE

Posted Jun 30, 2011 02:28 PM

"polling for bound server" type output usually means no network driver.  After adding it to the PE, did you remember to check the box, and let the PE rebuild?  If you run "IPCONFIG" inside the PE, do you have an adapter listed at all, or is it blank?