Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS 2.5.1.226 Local disk to Image corrupts after reboot

Posted Jan 20, 2011 02:32 PM

My Test failed:

Hardware = HP Z800 (Bios set to Raid or IDE tried both) 

Using = Ghost.exe (11.5.1.2266) or ghost64.exe (same ver from Win7PE)

Source drive is Windows 2008 --> Local --> disk --> to image on [partition 2.2]\test\temp\image.gho

PreOS: Tried dos and winPE boot cds to make the image

Image passes integrity check from dos or winPE right after creation.

Reboot after successful image creation.

Windows 2008 drive boots fine, but image is corrupt

Running check disk tool on drive 2 where image was stored alerts me of mft being repaired.

Usually it deletes the image.gho file after check disk. (check disk was clean and my storage drive is GOOD just before, and i also tested with another fresh drive)

Seems like an NTFS incompatibilty since dos reported the file as ok before booting into windows.

Please help...  Never seen this before

• 2.  RE: GSS 2.5.1.226 Local disk to Image corrupts after reboot

Posted Jan 21, 2011 10:08 AM

First of all, you need to set the disk array to a known situation. If you plan to use RAID, then set it to RAID, whereas if you plan to use a single non-raid disk, then set the bios/chipset to a non-RAID configuration.  Next, if working with a single disk, the drive is SATA, so ideally you would add the Vista 32 bit driver for the SATA chipset to the WinPE boot.

Then try imaging again, but since WinPE also supports USB devices, try imaging to an external USB HDD.

I created an XP 64 bit build for this machine over a year ago, and found it to be quite straightforward and with fewer issues than the Lenovo T20 which was being evaluated at the same time. Ghosting from WinPE (using Ghost 8.3) or ImageX both worked without issue, albeit using an external USB HDD which booted to WinPE.  The methodology I use is written up here: Adventures with WinPE Symantec Connect

• 3.  RE: GSS 2.5.1.226 Local disk to Image corrupts after reboot

Posted Jan 24, 2011 12:20 PM

I have already tried all of the things you mentioned.  No luck.  I do admit usb would help me isolate the problem to the controller or bios.  There is a patch 11.5.1.2269 and I wish I could find out whether it is related to my issue with ghost.exe in dos or not.  Anyone know what 2269 fixes specifically?

• 4.  RE: GSS 2.5.1.226 Local disk to Image corrupts after reboot

Posted Jan 24, 2011 01:19 PM

Locate the search field at the top of this page and type 2269 in it.

Then read through the many postings which discuss the issues this patch is intended to fix.

One further thought - did you nuke all existing partitions on the Z800 before you installed and imaged your operating system?  If I recall correctly, the Z800 had a maintenance partition on it, so if this was present when you imaged, but overwritten when you restored the image, then the partition numbering could be wrong.

Finally, have you checked that the machine has the latest bios and firmware updates installed?

By the way, if your source partition is getting corrupted, I would look closely at the RAID configuration in case the drives are still in some sort of (hardware?) RAID grouping.

• 5.  RE: GSS 2.5.1.226 Local disk to Image corrupts after reboot

Posted Jan 24, 2011 03:11 PM

I need to just call support and wait in line for the patch.  I have run through every scenerio in the book on this Z800, and still have the same random issue.   If anyone has seen this exact scenerio please respond.  I am starting to think the Z800 bios is to blame.

• 6.  RE: GSS 2.5.1.226 Local disk to Image corrupts after reboot

Posted Jan 24, 2011 03:22 PM

If you are going through the call and wait process, perhaps you should ask for 2298, as this includes 2269 plus additional bug fixes causing C0000005 errors.

HP is a Symantec partner, so perhaps giving their tech department a call would also be time well spent.  The Lenovo T20 has a similar specification so if you could borrow an eval machine and see how you get on with that, it may give you additional ammunition as to where the problem lies.

• 7.  RE: GSS 2.5.1.226 Local disk to Image corrupts after reboot
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 27, 2011 10:20 AM

For those who experience my headache of dirty ntfs for your stored gho.

Tested and working:  (ghost version 11.5.1.2266)

Hardware = HP Z800 (Bios set to IDE for imaging) 

ISOLINUX 3.86 custom boot cd

Ghost.exe -FFX

Source drive is Windows 2008 --> Local --> disk --> to image on [partition 2.1]\test\image.gho

PreOS: Dos (from WinMe)