Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  GSS Imaging problem with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Dec 28, 2006 02:56 PM
    Running Ghost 8.2.0.1117 on the console. The PC is new dell Optiplex 745 with Ghost client installed. Console recognizes client. I've created a new console boot partition, with the updated Broadcom 57xx drivers ( the most recent that I find are dated 7/14/2006). I can lift the image from the PC---but I cannot drop an image to it.

The clone part of the task finished OK, but the SID change and sysprep steps never happen. The error on the ghost console is "Client timed out." When I try using Bart's to drop a boot partition to the hard drive, the error is "unable to install network adapters". It the PC is rebooted, it goes into the sending/acknowledging DOS screen.

The image that I'm trying to drop includes an older Broadcom driver.

What should I try next? THANKS.

• 2.  RE: GSS Imaging problem with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Dec 29, 2006 12:25 AM
    Hi Deborah,

When you say SID and sysprep steps never take place, what is the status of the client before you reboot? Is it in the DOS sending/acknowledging screen or something else?

Could you check the task log and see where exactly it fails? Do you get the 'Client timeout' error just after cloning step?

Krish

• 3.  RE: GSS Imaging problem with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Dec 29, 2006 08:24 AM
    On the ghost console, the task log shows SID change failed, with error log of "Client timed out." The PC is on, but displaying only a cursor on a dark screen---it never comes back up into the sending/acknowledging DOS screen on its own. A reboot at that time gets it into that (I tried rerunning the task, and it gets to the same point each time). A control-break gets it out of sending/acknowledging and back into WinXP, where it reboots and it looks like it ran the sysprep (it got the timezone right). The PC is in a workgroup, (part of the sysprep & configuration would put it onto our domain). I can reconfigure it and join the domain---but do I need to worry that its SID would be duplicated the next time I have one to install?

• 4.  RE: GSS Imaging problem with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Dec 31, 2006 11:44 PM
    Hi Deborah,

Thanks for the update.

It looks like Ghost Walker hangs when try to change the SID. I remember having a similar issue which was related to hardware. I will check if this is the same situation.

In this case, since you use sysprep, is it possible to try changing the SID using sysprep and uncheck the �Change SID� checkbox in clone page of the task? (so that Ghost Walker would not try to change the SID)

Krish

• 5.  RE: GSS Imaging problem with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jan 04, 2007 11:35 AM
    > Hi Deborah,
    >
    > Thanks for the update.
    >
    > It looks like Ghost Walker hangs when try to change
    > the SID. I remember having a similar issue which was
    > related to hardware. I will check if this is the same
    > situation.
    >
    > In this case, since you use sysprep, is it possible
    > to try changing the SID using sysprep and uncheck the
    > ?Change SID? checkbox in clone page of the task? (so
    > that Ghost Walker would not try to change the SID)
    >
    > Krish

Hello all, we are having the same problems with our Optiplex 745s. The problem is definitely in the ghost walker portion when a new sid should be created, pc locks with flashing cursor on top left of screen. When same image is pushed to a GX620 dell it works \ Re-Sids just fine. If "Use ghost walker to perform a sid change" is unchecked in the task it goes through without a glitch. We want to use this feature instead of syspreping. Is an updated version of Ghost Walker being written to handle the changes of newer pcs and if so how does one obtain it? Thanxs for your support

• 6.  RE: GSS Imaging problem with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jan 04, 2007 10:59 PM
    > Is an updated version of Ghost Walker being written to handle the changes of newer pcs

GSS 2.0 has pretty much all the tools (ghost, walker, gdisk, omnifs, and so forth) built from the same library of disk-access code, so in general if one works the others should too. Plus, all the tools including walker have 32-bit versions that run under Windows PE, although we don't have integrated support for Windows PE for the managed console client.

> if so how does one obtain it?

The version of Walker in GSS 2.0 is the latest build we have - if you want to test whether it will work on your hardware, probably the best way to go is to get the GSS2.0 trialware download linked off the product page http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/overview.jsp?pcid=1025&pvid=865_1 and if it *doesn't* work, then we'll have to work with you to investigate further.

• 7.  RE: GSS Imaging problem with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jan 05, 2007 04:57 PM
    I have SGSS 1.1 and run sysprep without a issue. When I tried Ghostwalker to change SDI it would almost always explode. Have Sysprep do the SID change and also use Ghost walker on a deploy only if image does not have sysprep. Use Broadcom NDIS drivers downloaded directly from them. They have never failed me yet on any Mid tower or SFF 745's. I still cant get this Lenovo X60 to show in my console but it installs the client great every time. All my other X60's show. Grrrr

• 8.  RE: GSS Imaging problem with Dell Optiplex 745

Posted Jan 22, 2007 04:45 PM
    I agree with having the latest driver from Broadcom which works on chipsets. We have new Dell Optiplex 745's here at Vic University and have just found through SiSoft Sandra that it is of the 5751 Variety.
    On your other issue if you have updated to Media Player 11 Sysprep will fall over on reboot. All other updates seem OK just MP11 seems to effect Sysprep.