Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  GuardianEdge Encryption Plus 7.2.3 drive recovery

Posted Oct 01, 2013 10:29 AM

Situation -

User has GE 7.2.3 encrypted drive that blue screens during Windows XP load.

Attempts to resolve -

Have downloaded various HD access version utilities ISOs from the FTP site. The newer versions that say EAHD do not detect the encrytped drive. The older versions called EPHD labeled variously from 7.0 through 7.2 see the drive but do NOT accept the user and password despite the fact we know they work as we can during boot enter them and proceed through the XP load attempt. We have tried a dozen times using various boot strategies (we are booting from CD not USB), it never accepts the user and password.

We downloaded the Recover utility labeled 7.2.3 (though it extracts to a recover ISO that says 7.2.2) and attempted to decrypt the drive. It does accept the username and password, generates the keys and says the password is correct. However, it then says this option is not available and we must execute a one-time password option. We do not know how to provide this password and may not have the resources to do so.

Is there some way to move forward for us? One would think with the appropriate username and password that this *should* work. We are unsure if previous attempts to log in to the EP on boot have flagged the system to require some sort of unlock or somesuch before decryption. We suspect that possibly the problem running the EPHD access utility may be version related as we do not have nor can find one that specifically references version 7.2.3 - we'd be willing to try that but it does not show up on the FTP site.

Any assistance or advice appreciated.

• 2.  RE: GuardianEdge Encryption Plus 7.2.3 drive recovery

Posted Oct 01, 2013 11:32 AM

That's a very old version.

I'm afraid the only way I can imagine of getting a hold of the legacy media (which should include the correct recovery image) would be to log a case with Symantec support.  Are you in a position to do so?

• 3.  RE: GuardianEdge Encryption Plus 7.2.3 drive recovery

Posted Oct 01, 2013 11:46 AM

Not sure what is involved - as you mention, it is a very old version. I doubt there is a current support contract for it, if that is what is required. I suspect the problem with the EPHD Access Utility might indeed be version related, though I don't know why a later version would fail to be backward compatible. The recovery utility seems to be the right version per the FTP site and does accept the password at least, but the one time administrator password thing is throwing us since we have no idea how to generate that.

• 4.  RE: GuardianEdge Encryption Plus 7.2.3 drive recovery

Posted Oct 01, 2013 12:17 PM

I suspect you may still be able to get some support for it, but it will likely cost.

As far as the One Time Password goes, that's only used in the current versions to allow authentication.  I've never heard of it being necessary for a forced decryption, perhaps it's a quick of the version you're running.

In the current version at least, the One Time Password is generated via the GE/SEE Manager Console MMC.  Do you have access to this?

• 5.  RE: GuardianEdge Encryption Plus 7.2.3 drive recovery

Posted Oct 02, 2013 09:39 AM

No access that we know of.

• 6.  RE: GuardianEdge Encryption Plus 7.2.3 drive recovery

Posted Oct 02, 2013 12:14 PM

In that case I think your only recourse would be to log a case with Symantec to see if they can help.  As I mentioned before, I think you might have to pay for their help as the customer is out of maintenance and running a legacy product.  It's really up to you as to whether the data on the machine is worth it.