Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

• 1.  Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Posted Jan 23, 2015 08:37 AM

We are in the process of bringing a new group into our company and we need to get their antivirus situation resolved quickly but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it, as I've only ever worked with an environment with a SEPM.

Currently, they have SEP 11 RU6a self-managed (at least that's on their PDC, I haven't checked all systems). Obviously we need to get them updated as soon as possible so that they at least get virus definitions.

In this type of environment, how would one go about doing this? It's been a few years since I've done the upgrade myself, but I remember I had to gather all of our licenses, believe I had to fulfill them up to 12.1 and enter them into the SEPM. But how are licenses handled in an unmanaged environment?

I'm assuming they would need to have a valid support agreement, correct?

• 2.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Posted Jan 23, 2015 08:39 AM

You can apply licenses to unmanaged clients manually:

Licensing an unmanaged Windows client

Can they not be made managed?

• 3.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2015 08:51 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I would be glad to answer your query.

On January 5th, 2015, Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.0.x will reach end of support life. Virus definitions and security updates will cease to be published to LiveUpdate and general support for the product will no longer be provided.

The initial end of support life date was originally scheduled for January 5th, 2014. All customers were provided a complimentary extention. No further extentions will be provided.

It's strongly recommended to upgrade to SEP 12.1 , RU5 is the latest release.

Total how many client machines are in the network? 

To upgrade an unmanaged client, you can overinstall with a newer build of Symantec Endpoint Protection. 

After installation completes, you must reboot the computer.

No unmanaged clients require the manual installation of a license file. However, to enable the submission of reputation data from an unmanaged Windows client, you must install a paid license on the unmanaged client

Best practices for upgrading to the latest version of Endpoint Protection 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163700

FAQ: Upgrading Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x to version 12.1.x

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH207274

• 4.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Posted Jan 23, 2015 09:07 AM

There are about 100 users. We really didn't want to get involved in switching them to managed, this would be more of a stopgap. We basically just want to get them to the point of getting definitions. Eventually all the systems will be reimaged and brought into our network. They would be managed at that point, but we're not wanting to go that far yet.

I have no idea how it got past them that support was ending, but at this point, it's really moot. It might have been better for us if it wasn't extended a year, maybe someone would have noticed the client complaining about being out of date.

• 5.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2015 09:12 AM

Push SEP 12.1 RU5 unmanaged client package over the existing version. It should take care of main issue at this point.

• 6.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Posted Jan 23, 2015 09:38 AM

Thanks. Simpler than I thought. If only they'd done it earlier, they may have avoided Cryptolocker!

• 7.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Posted Jan 23, 2015 03:06 PM

Ok, guess this is solved. I was told that as we speak they are scrambling getting al the clients updated.

• 8.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Posted Jan 27, 2015 10:38 AM

Should there be a concern from a security perspective etc that it looks like they upgraded to 12.1 RU1 MP1? I know it doesn' support Windows 8 or Server 2012.

• 9.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Posted Jan 27, 2015 10:49 AM
    • Windows 8 - Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2 (RU2) and later.
    • Windows 8.1 - Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4 (RU4) and later.
    • Windows Server 2012 - Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2 (RU2) and later.
    • http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech174348

• 10.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Posted Jan 27, 2015 10:51 AM

It probably wouldn't install correctly. You need to get to the right version

• 11.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Posted Jan 27, 2015 11:40 AM

I can't do anything yet. I saw that version on a server we have access to, with firewall and download insight disabled. Honestly, if at least basic AV functionality works, we might not do too much more. AV wasn't the only issue, so there is a lot involved here.

• 12.  RE: Guidance on upgrading to SEP 12.1 unmanaged

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 29, 2015 09:50 AM

Is there any update?

Or

If your query has been resolved mark this thread as a solved with the best answer that helps you.