Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

GUPs not registering in 12.1.2

Created: 27 Dec 2012 | 7 comments

With the upgrade to 12.1.2 (12.1.2015.2015) we moved to a global configuration independent of Active Directory.  As a result, we also moved to a global GUP list, however, something appears ary.  When building the list, all GUPs we entered one time, however, now they appear in my GUP list more than once, most appear twice, but there are others that appear 4-5 times.

Thought it may have been a result of multiple IPs, but the system that appears 6 times only has one IP.  I also thought it might be a result of an entry for each SEPM I have, but I only have 3 SEPMs so that does add up either.

I have a feeling that this is causing my issue where GUPs are not getting their appropiate policy.  System that is supposed to be the GUP is installed, rebooted and shows online, but the SEPM shows false.  As a result there is no GUP for the clients to use and they are going out of date.  Is the fact that GUPs are appearing twice or more causing the issue or am I looking in the wrong place?

The fact that systems that are supposed to be the GUP display false is making me nervous, especially since we are making a major push to 12.1.2 because of the GUP issue that existed in 12.1 RU1MP1 that saw the SMC service just crashing on on the GUP...

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

If you do a seearch in SEPM for the GUP, does it show up multiple times?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

smakovits's picture

no, just the once and it has the green dot to indicate online as it checked in 30 minutes ago.  But GUP shows False.

.Brian's picture

Can you remote to the GUP and check the System log to see if there is an entry that says it became a GUP?

Can you also check for the SharedUpdates folder?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

smakovits's picture

OK, so in the log, I do see the following:

Start serving as the Group Update Provider (proxy server)., and the Shared updates folder exists.  This system was also the GUP for the 12.1 RU1MP1 install so the folder would already exist as a result of that, but the files are up to date in the folder.

What is even more strange.  Looking at the log, the entries that show updated from GUP X, the GUP listed is a completely different GUP in a different subnet which is defined and functioning correctly, but it does not make sense why this GUP would update from that GUP.

smakovits's picture

OK, found potential issue.  There was an explicitly defined GUP on the subnet of my GUP that was wrong.

While checking GUP, it suddenly appeared in guplist.xml and showed true, even while explicitly defined entry existed.  Not sure what happened here, but for now, the GUP shows true, I removed the invalid explicit subnet and incorrect GUP and will monitor things.

However, this still does not explain why some GUPs appear multiple times in the normal GUP list.

.Brian's picture

I've seen it show up a few times if a reinstall was done but that doesn't sound like the case here?

smakovits's picture

I have a case open with support regarding GUPs listed several times a piece and will report when I get a resolution.