Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Hard Fault with Ghost 14.0

Posted Sep 15, 2009 01:38 PM

I am getting the following error msg and cannot find anything that addresses a similar error.  I would like to get a "best as it can be" image to at least backup most of the data.

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: My Computer Backup. Error E7C3000F: Device \\.\PhysicalDrive0 cannot read 63 sectors starting at LBA 0. Error EBAB03F1: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

• 2.  RE: Hard Fault with Ghost 14.0

Posted Sep 16, 2009 06:00 AM
    Have you run CHKDSK or any other disk checking software to check your hard disk for defects?
    The error message would suggest that the first 63 sectors have a problem as the CRC bytes don't match the data content.

• 3.  RE: Hard Fault with Ghost 14.0

Posted Sep 16, 2009 02:28 PM

Yep and there are definite problems but I didn't want to try and fix them until I had an image.  I don't see any help/options on having ghost skip the bad sectors and create the image less the problem areas.  

From what I can find there can be issues with chkdsk that can cause serious disk issues, having to boot in safe mode, windows unable to restart, etc.  If ghost won't just skip the bad sectors do you know of a program that will?

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Hard Fault with Ghost 14.0

Posted Sep 17, 2009 04:45 AM

You could try either Paragon Partition Manager (I believe there is a free version you can download) or the imagex utility in WinPE.
    However, since the objective of disk imaging is to create a working backup, all of these disk imaging programs are going to throw their toys out of the pram when they encounter disk issues.
    Frankly, I would strongly suggest that you mount the defective drive as a slave on another system and use a program like Robocopy to copy the entire content to another volume. You can set Robocopy (free download) to perform multiple retries before it gives up and goes on to the next file.
    That way you have at the very least, a substantial backup of any application and data files.
    After that, you can attempt a run at CHKDSK, which will normally correct most issues without causing more problems. The time when chkdsk does cause issues, is when the hard disk is already so defective that it is beyond reasonable recovery anyway.