Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

HDD full - Backups failing BE 2010 r3

Created: 08 Nov 2012 • Updated: 14 Nov 2012 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi - I've been researching this problem a bit - and for all the solutions I've found - none of them seem to apply.

INFO:  Server = Windows server 2008 r2 standard

Backup Exec 2010 r3 (upgraded last week from r2)

Backup drive size - 4.50 TB

- Free space as of 11/8/12 100 GB

ERROR -  Backup to disk device is out of free space.

Needless to say - this causes other jobs to fail - as well as the duplicate to tape jobs.

Under Tools:Options: Media management - "Partial - protect only allocated media" and "Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recycleable media..." is selected.

If I am looking at the correct setting (tools: wizards:backup to disk wizard: EDIT properties of an exsiting backup to disk folder) - It shows overwrite of 5 days (basically the number of days of the tape rotation).

WHAT am I Missing???  We are getting to be non-functional as all of our B2D jobs are starting to fail.

How can I find out what can be deleted - and delete it??? the oldest files that I can find in the B2D-GRT folder are from 11/2/12 (6 days ago)

the oldest files i can find in the B2D-Data folder are ALSO from 11/2

so I am at a loss.   We have added no additonal servers or really anything to be backed up - of any size that would matter - since I started in February.  This has only started happening with the upgrade from r2 to r3 for BE2010.

Can anybody help???

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

ub40's picture

Hi, Corycar !

Small comment.

The overwrite protection period countdown begins from the end backup operation.

You must setup protection time by the following formula :

Overwrite protection period - backup job time length

Also, you can reduce maximum size for backup-to-disk files

Regards,
UB40

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Not sure why making your B2D files would be smaller if it was a setting change...if your *.bkf files aren't being reclaimed and overwritten, you'd still be out of disk space.

Check your media set settings and then make sure your Append/OPP settings are correct.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
corycar's picture

I went through my "retired" media sets and deleted them - as well as the actual data off the hard drive related to each one - got back 300GB (for short term)

Thanks for the contributions!

Cory Vincent

cvincent@smarthome.com