Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Help Creating SQL Backup Job Process w/Tape Rotation - BE 2010 R2 / R3

Created: 27 Sep 2013 | 2 comments

Hi!

We currently use/recommend customers to use Backup Exec 2010 R2 / R3 for a Daily Full and Hourly Log backup of their SQL Server databases.

We most commonly will use BE with a 12 Tape Library device - and I've have a hard time mastering the skill of creating a properly working backing regiment, that accurately backs up Full and Log backups - with the correct rotation pattern, that doesn't cause the program to eventually lock up due to my misconfiguring the solution.

I am looking for assistance in configuring a BE 2010 R2 / R3 installation, with the following parameters.  I really appreciate any assistance you guys can offer regarding setting this solution up properly.  Thank you!!

Server 2008 R2 Install Base - with BE 2010 R2 / R3
Backing up SQL 2000 Database

-Hourly Trans Log Backup
-Daily Full Backup

We would like product to backup data to library side 1 (Tapes 1-7) for Week 1, then rotate to Library Side 2 (Tapes 8-16) for Week 2... and so on.

I am not clear on the Vault Options, Media Retention Settings.. the various things that would obviously make this work.

If anyone can provide me configuration assistance, I would greatly appreciately it.

Thank you!!

--Brian

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

I find it strange that you are recommending a solution to your customers when you don't know how to set it up properly or even if it is possible.

thundr101's picture

It's not my responsibility to set this up.  I'm asking, because I'd like to know and learn.