Video Screencast Help

Help with error e0008113 - Physical Volume Library Robot not found

Created: 27 May 2011 • Updated: 30 Jun 2011 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We have a Dell ML6010 with 2 tape drives connected through a fiber switch to our server.  After restarting the server and tape drives the device shows offline.  When put online we get the error e0008113 - Physical Volume Library Robot not found.  We've deleted the tape drives, turned off the server and tape drive.  Turned on the tape drive and let it initialize and then booted the server, and now the tape drives aren't showing at all in the device view.  We need help with this.

Thanks.

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

ZeRoC00L's picture

I don't see the Dell ML6010 listed in the HCL of BE12 or BE12.5, it is first listed in the HCL of BE2010.

Did it work before, or are you trying to setup this for the first time ?

If your setup is new, I suggest to look into BE2010

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

CraigV's picture

@ZeroCool: I'm sorry but you're completely wrong here. If you look at the BE 12.0 and BE 12.5 HCL's, the Dell ML6000 Series tape libraries ARE supported. Not sure why you said they aren't...? This library would be the same as the HP StorageWorks MSL-series, in that there are different versions. They're all lumped under the same model.

Jared: Can you see the robotics and both drives in Windows? If you can, then zoning isn't an issue. If you can't, check the zoning on your FC switches first.

If the library is seen in Windows, I'd suggest starting your troubleshooting of BE 12.x by making sure that you are fully patched with all the available updates, and that you're running the latest drivers for BE 12.x.

You can also ensure that Windows Server 2003's RSM service is stopped, if you're running Win2K3.

Lastly, check on the Dell website...there should be a utility for your library where you can check what's going on, and if you have any hardware issues, then you can sort it out that way.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
ZeRoC00L's picture

I looked into the HCL of BE12 and 12.5 and there is no ML6010 listed, as it was in the HCL of BE2010, so I assumed the model is not supported with BE12.x. Sorry for that.

CraigV's picture

...the BE 2010 HCL simply expands on the models in each library family, which the BE 12.x HCLs don't.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

JaredO's picture

We got the tape drive online, but now when a backup job starts it is randomly grabbing a tape and changing the media set that the tape is associated with in order to back up on it.  Previously BE12 would follow the media sets that we had assigned to a tape, now it is just grabbing any available tape and backing up to it.

Ken Putnam's picture

Please open a new thread for this