Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Migration User

Migration UserJun 10, 2010 07:35 AM

Migration User

Migration UserJun 11, 2010 07:56 AM

• 1.  HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jun 08, 2010 11:29 AM
    Hi everybody,

I have tried and tried and tried to solve this problem on my own, but I cannot figure it out, therefore I am reaching out to you.

I have some brand new Dell Optiplex 980s that I just got in that I am trying to image.  But for some reason, my network boot disk will not work.  I have created many boot disks for older Dells including GX270, GX280, Optiplex 745, Optiplex 755 and even Optiplex 960.  I have created boot disks for each model through the Ghost Boot Wizard (Version 8.0). 

I have created one for this Optiplex 980 the EXACT way I have for every single one but I get an error message on this one.  It asks me to start the REQUESTER service which I do by  pressing ENTER.  Then it displays an error message DOS error SYS0006 occurred trying to load "A:\NET\NET.exe".

I have verified my old disks to this one and I don't know where I am going wrong.  I have the latest updated driver.  It is a Intel 82578DM network card.  I have download the correct DOS drivers and yet I can't figure it out.  I have found multiple solutions that have helped other people including addinga duplicate line in the autoexec.bat file but that does not work for me.

Please lend me your expertise!  I really need to get these things imaged!!!

Thanks,

Matt

• 2.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jun 09, 2010 02:53 AM

Try running Universal network bootdisk and map network drive where you have ghost.exe
    http://netbootdisk.com/

• 3.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jun 09, 2010 11:25 AM

I have tried this method.  I have everything set up correctly in my mind and when I try to map a drive it will not work.  Everytime I try and map any driver to any one of my shared folders, it says "Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located."

Like I said, I have tested my boot disks with my older pcs and it is mapping correctly.  So I doubt it has anything to do with not authenticating.  I don't understand how I can't map to ANY of my shared folders.

• 4.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jun 10, 2010 07:35 AM

try mapping using server ip address if that helps

• 5.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jun 10, 2010 01:48 PM

Tired that too.  Instead of putting the server computer name I would put   \\192.168.0.11\images

• 6.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jun 11, 2010 07:56 AM
    Try Ping 192.168.0.11
    do you get reply from server?

• 7.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jun 20, 2010 12:55 AM

Hello,

You can try using any one of these drivers in your boot image.
    For your convinience I have mentioned the link for downloading both DOS and WINPE drivers.

You can download the DOS drivers from the link below

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download.aspx?url=/4239/eng/PRODOS.exe&DwnldId=4239&lang=eng

The document will explain you as How to Add or modify DOS NIC templates in the Ghost Boot Wizard

http://service1.symantec.com/support/on-technology.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/c1bfe335bbd60c908825734e0059c036?OpenDocument

Link for downloading WINPE drivers

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download.aspx?url=/18718/a08/PROWin32.exe&DwnldId=18718&lang=eng

The document will explain you as How to add drivers to DeployAnywhere or WinPE

http://service1.symantec.com/support/on-technology.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/e4c1aea6046866e288257444007f9333?OpenDocument

Try this and update us on the same.

Thanks

Sockkalingam

• 8.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jun 21, 2010 01:57 PM
    Matt,

Any machine using that network card is likely to have a SATA controller that is too advanced for PC-DOS. I would advise trying a Windows PE boot disk with the appropriate Windows Vista 32bit drivers added (as required by WinPE 2.0).

Thank you,

Randy

• 9.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jul 01, 2010 10:06 PM
    Do you have to extract those WIN PE network drivers before you can add them? 

cheers, 

• 10.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jul 22, 2010 06:53 PM

Hi,

I'm experiencing a similar problem with the Optiplex 980. However I can get the WinPe to boot, I just can't connect the client to find the ghostcast server.

My understanding is that if the multicast option is there, it means that the NIC driver has loaded. Is this correct?

I've only ever used PC-DOS, so WinPe is a bit of unknown territory for me.

I use the ghostcast server directly, and don't use the console when imaging.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 11.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jul 23, 2010 01:53 AM
    Hi,

If you find issues with PC-DOS , Just give a try with MS-DOS... As we know, pc-dos has got limitations when it comes to newer generation machines. As a work around, I would suggest giving a try with MS-DOS

Regards,

Dilip Sebastian

• 12.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jul 23, 2010 04:56 AM
    Hi,

If your Client machine cannot connect to the Ghost Cast Server then there is a communication problem between them.

After loading Ghost in the client machine click on Quit. You will be on command prompt window.

Type in ipconfig and check out what IP address the Client machine is getting. If its getting a 127.0.0.1 or 169.x.x.x IP address we need to add the NIC drivers to the boot package.

Regards,

Prasanna Rajagopalan

• 13.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jul 23, 2010 07:17 PM

if you have an IP ping the server to see if it is reachable.   Also you can do an ipconfig / release and ipconfig / renew to get a fresh IP from your dhcp server.

cheers.

• 14.  RE: HELP!!! Getting error when trying to load Ghost Network Boot disk for Dell Optiplex 980

Posted Jul 28, 2010 03:51 PM

After reviewing all the threads regarding loading the newer Vista32 drivers in WinPE for the 82578 driver and still not being able to get it to work, I went back to PC-DOS.  I have a PC-DOS USB key that I use and manually set the Protocol.ini file to load the necessary driver depending on the system I'm deploying.  In this case I did the following...

1. Downloaded the latest e1000.dos NDIS driver from Intel (ver 15.4.1)

2. Copied the lastest ghost.exe executable from %sysdir%\program files(x86)\symantec\ghost to \GHOST on the USB key (in this case it's GSS 2.5, or Ghost v.11.5.1)

3. Copied e1000.dos to the NET sub-folder on the bootable USB key.

4. Modified Protocol.ini in the NET sub-folder to load the Intel driver   (Note: If you've created an Intel Pro 1000 boot floppy, CD, or USB you won't need to do this.  I have to because I also have Broadcom and Marvell drivers on the same USB key).  The nic subsection of protocol.ini should look like the following...

[nic]
      drivername = e1000$

5. Boot and restore image.

At least PC-DOS worked!!!