Help me with my Upgrade strategy
So we're currently running BackupExec 9 and I need to upgrade to 12. The server is 64-bit capable and I'd love to rebuild the server from scratch with Windows 2003 64-bit and put on the 64-bit version of BackupExec.
So, I've found a Symantec document on how to use BEMIG to migrate between two servers and I've put together the following plan.
Can somebody please go over my logic and make sure this will work correctly.
- Upgrade to Backup Exec 10 demo. Have to do this because I can not upgrade directly from 9 to 12.
- Copy off the database files (mdf & ldf)
- Copy off the catalog files
- Rebuild server using Windows 2003 64-Bit
- Install Backup Exec 12 64-bit
- Follow Symantec document
a. Stop SQL
b. Restore database files, overwriting current ones (mdf & ldf)
c. Restore catalog files, overwriting current ones
d. Modify the registry, put Backup Exec into Upgrade mode
e. Start SQL
f. Use osql to change name of server in database
g. Run BEMIG
Does that look good? Am I missing anything?