Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Help needed to re-license PGP Desktop Home 10.0

Posted Jul 16, 2012 09:13 AM

I am trying to re-activate my copy of PGP Desktop Home version 10.0 after a 'virus' episode(!)  which required me to rebiuld the OS (Windows Vista) at short notice. When I try to register the license I enter the details and my Symantic issued Key and I get the error "name lookup failure".  Net monitor tells me that the application is trying to contact authorize1.pgp.com and authorize2.pgp.com, but gets no response.

Reading 'HOW TO: License PGP Desktop 10' (HOWTO42066) I think that the activation method has changed again.  I have tried to enter the Manual Authorization code listed for PGP® Desktop Storage, but this does not work.

How can I get the Manual Authorization code for PGP Desktop Home?

Have authorize1.pgp.com and authorize2.pgp.com been disabled - or is there an error with my networking (nothing else appears affected)

Thanks

John

• 2.  RE: Help needed to re-license PGP Desktop Home 10.0

Posted Jul 16, 2012 10:44 AM

I would suggest using the manual authorization for the Professional product - the software is the same, with only the license determining what functions will work, but Professional should cover all Home functioning. 

Did you try using the correct two words for Name:

Authorized User

and the correct two words for Organization?:

Authorized Company

Please note that you do not actually use your real name or an actual company name.

• 3.  RE: Help needed to re-license PGP Desktop Home 10.0

Posted Jul 16, 2012 12:11 PM

When Symantec bought PGP, they essentially turned those licencing servers off, because Symantec use a different Licensing model

• 4.  RE: Help needed to re-license PGP Desktop Home 10.0

Posted Jul 16, 2012 07:25 PM

Thanks for your replies.  I now know not to perservere with the server autentication method, however I have tried the Manual Authorisation code with no success: "License is invalid".  I have tried all the license strings on the HOWTO42066 page.  I have even cut and pasted them into notepad to ensure that there are no strange character codes being included.

Any idea how I can get the correct license for my product?  I cannot find it documented in my licensing account.

I am starting to get desperate as I have quite a bit of my life documented in a pgp virtual drive which I cannot access.

thanks

John

• 5.  RE: Help needed to re-license PGP Desktop Home 10.0

Posted Jul 16, 2012 08:32 PM

It sounds like you need to contact Customer Care.  They handle all licensing issues.

• 6.  RE: Help needed to re-license PGP Desktop Home 10.0
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 25, 2012 08:29 AM

Thanks Tom,

I tried to ring Symantic, but gave up after 90 minutes on the phone being suffled between tech and non-tech support on a very bad phone line.

After looking around in the Licensing Portal I found a button to "upgrade".  With nothing to loose I clicked it and behold - I was upgraded to version 10.2 and given a new installation key.  I have loaded version 10.2 and it is now working reliably with the old virtual disk.

For the record, version 10.2 does not need manual authorisation keys.

The solution was in my hands all the time - I just did not know it.  Thanks to all who commented!

John

• 7.  RE: Help needed to re-license PGP Desktop Home 10.0

Posted Jul 25, 2012 09:00 AM

Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience, but glad to hear you found the resolution you needed.  Thanks for posting it here - it may be of help to others.

• 8.  RE: Help needed to re-license PGP Desktop Home 10.0

Posted Jul 29, 2012 09:53 PM

John,

I have nearly the same problem as you.  I have pgp desktop 9.6 and I just installed my o/s... when I went to activate the re-installed version of pgp, it failed and both enterprise and home symantec support have been completely unwilling to help.  Could you point me to the page with the "upgrade" option in the licensing portal.

Thanks,

Doug