Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1

Posted Mar 18, 2011 03:18 PM

Hello,

I am trying to install the SMP 7.1 using SQL 2008 as my DB but I cannot seem to get it to work.  I have tried it on box and off and get the same errors, failed to configure, object referenced cannot be found.  I think it is a setting, I have given the account dbcreator access but am wondering if there is another setting I am missing.  I am more comfortable with 2005, so I am thinking this is user error.

Anyone have any ideas or a link to a good reference?

Thank you

Lauren

• 2.  RE: Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 18, 2011 03:58 PM

I know in the past versions I have had the same problem and have to get my DBA to give me full rights to the database (temporarily of course) and everything works fine.  I don't know if that is possible for you or not, but it's worth a try.

• 3.  RE: Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1

Posted Mar 18, 2011 06:47 PM

The account you are using to access SQL must be a DB Admin for the NS database - it does not have to be a full admin on the server or for other databases.

• 4.  RE: Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1

Posted Mar 18, 2011 10:49 PM

I've had my DBA added the application identity as sysadmin and that resolved it.  I just did an install last week using it.  dbcreator is not sufficient, which we tried first.

• 5.  RE: Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1

Posted Mar 21, 2011 01:36 PM

I've had the same issue just this morning. I am trying to install SMP 7.1 on a Server 2008 R2 machine with a SQL Server 2008 R2 off-box. I've made the Service Account that am using a sysadmin on the DB with no luck. The solutions install on the local machine but when it goes to configure them they all fail. Some say that there isn't enough disk space, others just fail telling me to look at the logs. In the logs it mentions the error here in this forum post but the proposed solutions yield no better results. 

The SMP server has 25 GB free space so I can't see it being that. Any other ideas?

• 6.  RE: Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1

Posted Mar 21, 2011 01:41 PM

Per various KBs, do they have rights to master and tempdb?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO1081 (happens to be about old DS but still the same point)
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO8320 (about NS 6 and SMP 7)

Additional non-SQL related causes would include being sure you are an administrator, disabling UAC and rebooting, and making sure to do Run As Administrator when you launch any application such as SIM.

• 7.  RE: Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1

Posted Mar 21, 2011 02:52 PM

Try setting the DB as mixed mode authentication

• 8.  RE: Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1

Posted Mar 22, 2011 09:46 AM

Due to the issues we rebuilt the servers to be safe since they had been upgraded and not fresh installs of 2008R2.

I installed SQL following the steps in https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/install-and-configure-sql-server-2008-express but used SQL instead of Express.  It is Mixed Mode.

I also made sure my account had the permissions listed above.

It looks like I am getting somewhere.  The install is not done yet but for the first time the configuration is working and I saw the DB was created.  This is the furthest it has gone and Support was even confused and I believe has given up since I have not heard back on my ticket in 48 hours.

• 9.  RE: Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1

Posted Mar 22, 2011 10:25 AM

I am in!

• 10.  RE: Help with SQL 2008 and 7.1

Posted Mar 22, 2011 01:59 PM

The permissions are right. I have it set now. This issue seemed to be an issue with the FQDN believe it or not. We have a single domain but different web space and although DNS resolves both, the FQDN of the server needed to be used rather than the web name. Once I changed that things started working again.

To be clear, the FQDN was server.domain.com but the web space is server.differentname.com. I was using server.differentname.com in the config. Once I changed that to server.domain.com for the installation it worked as expected.