Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Help with "Symantec Endpoint Protection Client - Self Managed" for Windows 2008 server

Posted Jul 28, 2009 07:34 AM
    Hi all,

My company is currently in transformation state from Windows 2003 to a brand new windows 2008 domain.

We are in the proces of installing the domain controllers, database servers and operation management server, which are all running windows 2008.
    The plan is to design a Symantec Endpoint Proctection 11.0.4202_MR4_MP2 and create a design which covers all our enterprise.

But as it is now we are just starting with the 5 windows 2008 severs and then the AV design will come at later state. But while we are in this tranmition state we would like these servers to be procted by Symantects "self-managed" client.

After having downloaded the "Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_11.0.4202_MR4_MP2_AllWin_EN_CD1.zip" and started the setup I can choose between:
     - Read This first:
     - Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
     - Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Client
     - Exit

My first question is, is the "Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Client" suited for Windows 2008 servers and could it be installed on a Domain Controller?
    My second questions, is there any documentation of the stand alone client? I cannot find any on the CDrom?

And my last question is when I select to Install the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client and custom, what should I install on a windows 2008 server? (Personal I would remove the "Fireall and intrusion Prevention, the application and device control, the antivirus email protection").

Hope any can either guide me in the rigth direction or help me clearify these questions,
    Best Regards,
    Benjamin

• 2.  RE: Help with "Symantec Endpoint Protection Client - Self Managed" for Windows 2008 server

Posted Jul 28, 2009 07:43 AM
    is the "Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Client" suited for Windows 2008 servers and could it be installed on a Domain Controller?

YES

You should install only AV/AS on a Server OS.

Chees,
    Aniket

• 3.  RE: Help with "Symantec Endpoint Protection Client - Self Managed" for Windows 2008 server
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 28, 2009 07:46 AM
    1) Your first question

My first question is, is the "Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Client" suited for Windows 2008 servers and could it be installed on a Domain Controller?

Ans: Can be installed with No problems

2) My second questions, is there any documentation of the stand alone client? I cannot find any on the CDrom

Ans: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009040814021448

check the manager and unmanged is the self managed system, performance is the same but are independent cant be managed centrally from SEPM

3) And my last question is when I select to Install the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client and custom, what should I install on a windows 2008 server?

Ans: You can install whatever you like, however PTP will not work on Server OS

Hope I answered all your questions and it was helpful good day

• 4.  RE: Help with "Symantec Endpoint Protection Client - Self Managed" for Windows 2008 server

Posted Jul 28, 2009 08:57 AM
    Hi Aniket and Rafeeq,

Thanks alot for the prompt and usefull answers :-) Just the information I needed.

Best Regards,
    Benjamin