Video Screencast Help

Help with upgrade from BE 2010 to 2012

Created: 24 Jul 2013 | 5 comments

Hi

I have BE 2010 R3 running on a Windows 2003 64 Bit server. I am planing to upgrade the BE to 2012. But prior to upgrade, i wish to make something similar to restore point in case something goes wrong. Sins it is a 2003 server, it does not have any system recovery option there. Is there a way within the backup exec server itself to create something similar prior to the upgrade? Any help is appritiaceted.

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

1. You could perform a Full backup of the Server using Backup Exec in case of a rollback.

2. A manual method would be to backup the Data and catalogs folder

3. Use Symantec System Recovery in trial mode and perform a whole disk backup.

Edit:  Do expect a lot of changes in the interface and also the way you backup as 2010 is more of a job centric software and 2010 is a server centric software. Also, during the upgrade read the reports carefully to avoid discomfort later on.

RicohNorway's picture

I am a little bit confused here. If a want to perform a full backup of the backup Exec server itself, am i going to be using the backup exec 2010 for that? And then obviously that backup needs to be placed to an external storage.
The thing is, that i have read alot of technotes regarding the upgrade, hence i am going to upgrade the DLO first. Once i have the DLO upgraded and all the DLO client agents upgraded, then i am going to focus on Backup Exec 2012 itself. So if lets say i experience an issue after upgrading, and wish to go back to the old DLO, would i be using the backup stored in the external Storage for that?

Jaydeep S's picture

For DLO upgrade process and revert back process, it is better if you post in the DLO forum. 

As for Backup Exec yes, you would use the same Backup Exec 2010 and perform a Full backup to a Tape or a B2D and use it for its own recovery. This link should help you on how to perform the recovery

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56671

MusSeth's picture

While upgrading backup exec to 2012 it does prompt you for backing up database in case something goes wrong there is backup copy of database...please make sure to go through pre-migration report before you upgrade backup exec to 2012