Helpdesk went Kaboom - Runtime Errors, Slow Loads, etc
Hopefully someone here is still using HD6 and can offer me some advice. Over the recent EOY break, with nobody actually on site, our HD6 install died. Everything was working fine around the 23rd of December... then this morning Helpdesk took more than 50 seconds per click when navigating around. I logged on to the NS Server (v6.0.6074 - SP3 + R13, with SQL 2005 x64 off-box, running Server 2003 Standard, btw) and found nothing out of the ordinary i.e. pretty standard CPU and memory usage, and next to no network traffic (as this is still holiday time for most people). I ran HD6 (v6.308 SP5, btw) on the server itself and it STILL took ages. One of the techs then said that they were getting "Runtime Error" messages when clicking on the notification emails for new jobs. It's broken.
I checked Windows updates, and none had been applied. i checked AntiVirus, and that had done a few updates, but didn't seem to be much of an issue. I then ran the "Altiris Console" (installed on the same server, using the same DB instance as "Incidents") and this worked fine... so I wouldn't expect it to be a database or network issue.
Here are the issues I have identified so far;
- Helpdesk is horribly slow. One some very rare cases, the server responds in about 2 seconds. Almost all the time now it is between 35 and 55 seconds per click. It was working fine last year.
- You can't use the "redirect". Accessing the links in the emails (i.e. http://servername/AeXHD/default.aspx?cmd=viewItem&id=12345) or accessing http://servername/AeXHD/ results in a "Server Error in '/AeXHD' Application. Runtime Error" message. You need to manually set the "worker".
- After making a request (i.e. clicking on something), the page status sits at "Waiting for servername", and meanwhile there is the smallest blip of network activity on the server. Some 30+ seconds later, the w3svc hits a quick 30% or so, and then the data is returned to the web browser a second or so later. So it's like Helpdesk is having a nap between each request and response.
I found an article recommending a repair on the "TaskServer" and "Helpdesk" components, which didn't help - in fact it broke some permissions/settings in IIS that required some fixes to get it back to the "mostly broken" state (as opposed to the "totally broken" state it was in).
I have checked the DB server, and it looks fine performance wise.
I hate day 1 gremlins.