Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  How to access information on a failing disk? Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0.1

Posted Jul 31, 2015 06:45 AM

Hi All,

I recently deployed SEE 11.0.1 and I am facing a big issue. SEE is configured to encrypt all partitions on the hard drives of all my users. 

One of the hard drives is failing and I cannot access windows. I wish to recover the data or repair windows 7 x64.

Unfortunately when I try reinstalling the windows, it sees the partitions as blank. I checked online and there seem to exist Symantec Access and Recovery disks.

I would like to know if these disks can help me solve my problem. If so, where do i download them?

Additional Info

- Machines are running windows 7 (x64 or x86)

- Users authenticate through with there MS Active Directory credentials

- The SEE server is installed on Windows Server 2008

Thanks for your answers.

• 2.  RE: How to access information on a failing disk? Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0.1

Posted Jul 31, 2015 09:13 AM

This is a known issue as per the below article:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH227629

I'm afraid you're probably going to have to log a support case with Symantec to get a hold of the access cd image.

• 3.  RE: How to access information on a failing disk? Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0.1

Posted Jul 31, 2015 11:33 AM

The recovery method for SEE v11 is a customized WinPE that should be set up by your IT department.  More instructions on creating it are here:
    https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH223783.html

The Access and Recovery iso images were for the previous iteration of SEE, versions up to the 8.2.1 series.  The 11 series has no pre-configured iso images.  There is a feature request for support to provide an access iso, but that is not the recovery method specified in the product manual.  WinPE is the officially supported method.

• 4.  RE: How to access information on a failing disk? Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0.1

Posted Jul 31, 2015 12:10 PM

Hi SMLatCST and Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am currently looking at the process to create the WinPE and the UFD and it looks kind of complex. I have some few questions though.

The procedure to create the access and recovery media, is it to be done on the server machine or it could be done on any pc that is currently encrypted? There is also a driver that is a prerequisite; the drive that is currently failing does not have that driver installed. Does it mean that I cannot access the data on it?

If there is a simpler alternative, I am all ears.

Thanks a lot.

Kigordid

• 5.  RE: How to access information on a failing disk? Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0.1

Posted Jul 31, 2015 12:15 PM

Any PC that has SEE Management Agent Client and Drive Encryption Client installed should work.

• 6.  RE: How to access information on a failing disk? Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0.1
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 31, 2015 12:19 PM

From what I recall, you need to grab files from a machine that has the SEE FD client installed (not necessarily encrypted).  So you should be able to create a new client installer on your SEE Management Server, slap it on a test machine, and use that to created the Recovery disk.  Then boot the failing machine from this disk.

• 7.  RE: How to access information on a failing disk? Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0.1

Posted Jul 31, 2015 01:57 PM

All Right,

Thanks a lot. Will do.

Br,

Kigordid.