Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

How to back up SBS 2011 in Hyper-V

Created: 18 Oct 2012 | 3 comments

I'm building out a new Small Business 2011 server using hyper-V and I'm trying to understand how to properly install Backup Exec 2012 sp1. I have purchased the premium Small Business Server license that allows me the main SBS server and an extra Windows 2008 R2 server. I have one physical host with the extra Windows 2008 R2 server running as a hyper-v host only. It has 2 VMs, one is the SBS server and one is the extra Windows 2008 R2 server (Microsoft lets you use the extra server license for 1 host and 1 guest).

I have purchaseda  Backup Exec 2012 small business edition license and a licence for the small business edition agent for Windows.  When I began to install Backup Exec 2012 on my hyper-v host, I entered my license key but the licensing page said that the hyper-v agent was unavailable. Given that, I'm not sure how to backup the guest VMs.

How do I do this?

Thanks!

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

That license would only apply for SBS, not full-blown Windows.

What are you trying to backup too? Disk or tape? If disk, you can see about presenting disk to your SBS VM and then loading BE on that. Create a job to backup to disk which should work.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Sush...'s picture

Hello there,

With BE 2012 SBE License you can backup a maximum of 3 physical server or VM or a combination of both to a total of 3 servers/machines can be licenses for protection.

Please refer to the attached screenshot:

Refer to the Licensing guide which mentions this information (in the PDF file)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479 : Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Colin Weaver's picture

To backup the SBS virtualized server using that edition of BE you install the agent for window software on the SBS server and back it up in a traditional way - as far as I know that edition of Backup Exec does not come with the Virtual Agents license so you cannot do a Hyper-V backup wuthout adjusting your licenses. If you need to confirm this or get more detail then talk to the customer care (licensing team) who unfortunately do not monitor these forums