Video Screencast Help

How to backup data on same server by different data on daily and monthly without conflict on backup exec 2012

Created: 03 Jul 2013 • Updated: 04 Jul 2013 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Dear all,

Don anyone can teach me how to backup data on same server by different data on daily and monthly without conflict on backup exec 2012

I can't find any option allowing to select different data per daily and per monthly on the same server.

I have tried to create 2 task with different job on same server but conflict occurred. When the monthly ran, daily will alert missed. I can't exclude the monthly backup day for daily job. when I make exclude, both daily and monthly job will being excluded.

I have updated to sp1a and the hotfix but seems there is no different on the setup.

Thanks!

Regards,

Karl

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

In your backup selection list for your daily and monthly backup jobs, you can select different data.  For example, you have

C:\daily

C:\monthly.

Your daily job can select C:\daily and your monthly job can select C:\monthly.  You can also select some common data, e.g. both your daily and monthly job can select C:\common.

If I got your problem wrong and your problem is job conflict, i.e., if the monthly job runs, then the daily job does not run.  You can solve this by making the start time of the two jobs different.  For example, the daily job starts at 9.00 p.m. and the monthly job starts at 9.05 p.m.  With this timings, both jobs will run.

karllee's picture

Dear phk,

Could you please kindly tell me how? Since I can't find it on the configuration.

On left hand side, it only can select what data to be backup without the option for daily or monthly

01.PNG

02.PNG

Thanks!

Regards,

Karl

pkh's picture

You cannot put 2 full backups into one job.  You need to create two backup jobs so that they can have different selection lists.

karllee's picture

Dear pkh,

I tried create two backup jobs with different selection lists. When the job "Monthly" ran, I want to skip "Daily" job.

I tried to make exclude day from "Daily" job but all jobs will being excluded without selection.

03.PNG

I tried turn monthly job run eariler, it executed successful. But after that Daily job will run again. It put the Daily backup into my Monthly tape.

How can I exclude the Daily job when that date have Monthly job?

Thanks!

Regards,

Karl

pkh's picture

Make sure that both your Monthly and Daily job starts at the SAME time, e.g. 9 p.m.  When they both start at the same time, the more frequent job, which in this case is the Daily job, will be superceeded by the Monthly job.

If the jobs start at different time, then there would be no superceeding.

karllee's picture

Dear pkh,

I tried initially, Job Daily will ran rather than Monthly.....

And then after daily job done, Monthly run....

I read some post on the forum, seems "superceeded" case only occur when I put all full backups into one job. Is that true?

If it's true, then how can I backup different data with superceeded occur?

Regards,

Karl

pkh's picture

You are right in that the superceeding only occurs if the jobs are within the same job container and as you already pointed out using the exclude date feature will stop all jobs.

This leaves only one option.  Create 2 jobs (not within the same job container) and use the Windows scheduler to schedule the BEMCLI cmdlet, Suspend-BEJob to suspend one of the jobs.  Once the "danger" period is over, this job would then have to be resumed by scheduling the BEMCLI cmdlet, Resume-BEJob.

SOLUTION
karllee's picture

Dear pkh,

Thanks for your help, I agree your solution. Originally I can do this on backup exec 2010. Hopefully Symantec can add this feature in near future. Let us can do plan the backup more flexible with GUI rather than command line.

Regards,

Karl