Video Screencast Help

How can I adjust a program into thinking my Windows 2000 installation is actually Windows older version like nt,etc

Created: 02 Jul 2009 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 9 comments

i have 1 application always giving  error when i m trying to open it that its not compatible with your os version,
what should i do or is there any utility to correct this problem

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

philbenson's picture

talking about the actual installation, or about attempting to start the application?

If it's the installation, and it's not an MSI, then recapture it. If it's an MSI, check the Launch Conditions.

If you talking about the application, try creating a pif file, that starts the application in  Windows 2000 compatibilty mode.

Cheers
Phil

vikrantchuke's picture

I wanted any compability software or utility to get adjust with this newer version of os for my old software.

Mujassim Bhai's picture

Do you mean your current version is windows NT and you want to upgrade to Windows 2000 and want to check for the application upgrade

Mujassim Bhai's picture

Can you upgrade your system to XP becuse there are many options which can help you out
if you can upgrade them to XP then reply I will help you out

philbenson's picture

so let's try again.

You have an application that is written for a Pre windows 2000 version?

The actual OS that you are using IS Windows 2000?

It appears that you application requires a dongle to use (not in your first post, but subsequent posts)?

The dongle requires hardware, i.e. requires a driver. Is the driver compatible with the current OS?

I do not have a Windows 2000 OS image at the moment, but I am pretty sure that you can right-click on the executable, and choose a compatibilty mode that the executable should use to run (Win95, Win98 etc). Making the settings here creates a pif file, and that can be used to launch the application. It's another question if the app works, but it's worth a try.

Cheers
Phil

EdT's picture

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the software + dongle to see if they have updated drivers for Windows 2000?

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.