Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  How can I change the IP address of SMS 8340 appliance permanently?

Posted Jul 20, 2009 08:59 AM
    In initial configuration duration for the new appliance, my colleague just set the ip address, not did other operation.
    Now, I hand over the work, I met a problem, when I log in the operation system, I found many of command can't be used in the unusual linux system.
    So I used the 'ifconfig' command to change the IP address. It is ok, but this is temporary way, when the server reboot, the configuration will lost.
    How can I change the IP address permanently?  
    Thanks the answer in advance!

• 2.  RE: How can I change the IP address of SMS 8340 appliance permanently?

Posted Jul 20, 2009 09:05 AM
    Hi John,

you to change the IP address of an interface in SBG v8 you can easily do it via the GUI, logging into the Control Centre.
    This public KB article covers the topic:
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2009060813244254

Regards,

Federico

• 3.  RE: How can I change the IP address of SMS 8340 appliance permanently?

Posted Jul 22, 2009 07:41 AM
    Hi Federico,
    I tried to chang the IP via the web, howerver, When I logged in the web, the system prompt a internal error, so I can,'t do any configuration.
    I thought the root cause, maybe, I can't directly change the IP in operation system because many ssim file save the ip address.
    Only when you change the IP via the web which could automatically modify the IP in the files, the application will work normally.
    This is my idea, I will try again.

• 4.  RE: How can I change the IP address of SMS 8340 appliance permanently?

Posted Aug 31, 2009 05:14 AM
    Better way to change IP address, go to cli mode (putty)

Run this command "clear osconfig"

it will reboot the appliane take you to the bootstrap, in there you will be ask for new IP adress, default gateway, dns, domain name, time zone, and appliance role . .

this will not delete you policies which you have created or license.

• 5.  RE: How can I change the IP address of SMS 8340 appliance permanently?

Posted Sep 01, 2009 01:34 AM
    @John Xi: to change the IP, do what fferaboli suggested and use the web based console. Then you may want to verify it through the CLI via Telnet. It may take a while to get the settings to apply. Then restart the control center service.

btw, what error message do you get when changing the IP address. I'm thinking that this could be proxy related or from your browser.