Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

how can I do a VM test resore BEX 2010?

Created: 21 Oct 2013 | 7 comments

I'm trying to do a test restore to show the upper management the backup system is working.  I picked the smallest of the VMs we are backing up and whenever I try to redirect it and restore it, it fails because the original VM is running.  I should not have to turn off VMs to do a redirected restore to test... so how can I run a test restore?  

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture

Hello, 

What is the error code it fails with?

AKinAK's picture
Final error: 0xe0009641 - The restore job cannot continue because the virtual machine is running or is powered on. Check the job properties, or power off the virtual machine, and then run the job again.
lmosla's picture

Are you going through the vcenter for the restore? what version of vmware are you using?

AKinAK's picture

it's hyper v, not vmware, and I'm using BEX 2010 for the restore...

lmosla's picture

Make sure the server you are restoring to has the Hyper-V role activated and the server you are running the redirected restore to also needs to have RAWS installed

See this Technote:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH139692

AKinAK's picture

the host I am trying to redirect it to IS a hyper v host as well, and has the full install of BEX 2010 on it.  

AKinAK's picture

I found the issue... I had failed to notice the "microsoft hyper v redirect" option below the standard file redirection.  it appears to be redirecting now.