Endpoint Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to change HDD encrypted with Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

• 1.  How to change HDD encrypted with Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Feb 04, 2015 08:48 AM

Hello

Have a laptop (Windows 8.1 Pro, Core-i7, 8 GB RAM) with HDD encrypted with Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3.

Does anyone has a document desribing how to change this encrypted HDD with a new one? Or do you have personal experience/recomendations on how to do this?

• 2.  RE: How to change HDD encrypted with Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 04, 2015 12:29 PM

If you are just wanting to move the data from one drive to another, you could try something like Clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/) to make a bit-by-bit copy of the existing drive to the new drive.  Basically, you will plug the new drive into the existing system, boot using the Clonezilla disk, and clone the old drive to the new drive.

Since it will not recognize the encryption on the first disk, it should do a bit-by-bit copy of the drive, which should then act normally when you boot, retaining the encryption.  It has been a while since I tried it, but I was able to use it on older versions successfully, and I recently had a customer do it successfully as well.

Otherwise, you could just do a normal backup of the data and migrate the data to the new drive, then install SED and encrypt the drive.

• 3.  RE: How to change HDD encrypted with Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3

Posted Feb 23, 2015 09:04 AM

Update: opened a Technical Support case