Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

How to configure the NetBackup Appliance 5220 support multipathing with SAN transport?

Created: 10 Jul 2013 • Updated: 01 Oct 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

In my Environment,I want to backup the VMware using san transport,tape out using san transport,backup the Physical machines using san client,and i want to using Fault Tolerance backup,this is my plan,am i right?

nbu5220.jpg

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

Sorry, not supported. See  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

DOCUMENTATION: Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments (updated July 9, 2013).

p.21: 

NetBackup for VMware on a Linux backup host does not support
multipathing with SAN transport
NetBackup for VMware on Windows supports multiple SAN paths between the
vSphere ESXi storage and the NetBackup for VMware agent (backup host). Multiple
paths can provide SAN I/O high-availability and higher backup throughput.
With a Linux backup host, NetBackup for VMware is unable to support
multipathing, because of incompatibilities in the following: the Linux operating
system, VMware vStorage APIs for Data Protection, and vendor-specific DMP
solutions.
As a result, NetBackup for VMware cannot support multipathing with a Linux
backup host that is on any of the following platforms:
■ NetBackup 52x0 Appliance
■ NetBackup for VMware on SLES
■ NetBackup for VMware on RHEL
Support for multipathing with Linux backup hosts may be included in a future release.
Note the following:
■ This issue does not affect NetBackup support forVMware’s Native Multipathing
(NMP). NMP is multipathing between the ESXi host and storage.
■ This issue does not affect NetBackup for VMware on Windows backup hosts.
The Windows OS has integrated multipathing support. The following Microsoft
guide contains more information:
http://microsoft.com/mpio

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION
zhuqingedu's picture

Thanks,NetBackup for VMware on a Linux backup host does not support multipathing with SAN transport,and does it support multipathing with san transport for tapeout and san client backup?

zhuqingedu's picture

Thanks,NetBackup for VMware on a Linux backup host does not support multipathing with SAN transport,and does it support multipathing with san transport for tapeout and san client backup?

Mark_Solutions's picture

No problem with multipathing your tape drives, NetBackup handles that fine - not 100% on muti-pathing FT though?

Your graphic is correct assuming you have a D model where the ports you have indicated are the ones that support Fibre Transport - the other ports can be used for Tape or VMWare mappings.

As already covered multi-pathing you VNWare LUNS is not supported and does cause memory semaphore issues - this is the vSphere API's fault not the Appliances I believe so may be fixed in the future when VMWare produce a fixed Unix API

Hope this helps

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.