Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

How to create continuous backup with BE 2012?

Created: 28 Dec 2012 • Updated: 16 Jan 2013 | 6 comments
UFO's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

How to create hot backup with BE 2012? say 'continuous' I mean when the full backup of endpoint PC is done and then there are some some changes to file(s) has been made - they're automatically added to the backup. Or file share backup with the same scenario.

Was this functionality available in Continuous Protection Server? Is it available in BE 2012? I'm confused.

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Gurvinder Rait's picture

CPS is not available in BE 2012
Ref :
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178552
Additional Link if using an older version of CPS and BE 2012 - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH182414

UFO's picture

First link is useful, thanks. So CPS is the only way to solve the problem and it is EOL, right?

How to understand the line "Continuous Protection Server (CPS) \ DLO (Will become stand alone product)"? Will CPS be available as standalone product? If not - how to solve the taks of continuous file protection?

STS: DLP

Colin Weaver's picture

That line states that both CPS and DLO and discontinued but that DLO is now a standalone product that is separately installed and licensed. CPS is completely EOL and discontinued.

If you are thinking about workstaion end user data (not complete DR)  and contunuous protection then DLO can still provide a comparable function. CPS was really a serverside product 

SOLUTION
UFO's picture

Dear Colin, thank you for clarifying. So, going back to my original question, as I understand now - I cannot do continuos backup for servers (CPS is dicsontinued) and for continuous backup for PC and laptop I can use DLO?

STS: DLP

Gurvinder Rait's picture

Yes, you can use DLO. The way DLO works is that is copied the data to a local folder on PC/Laptop and then when the user is connected to network copies that data to a storage location specified in DLO.