Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

How Do I Move GSS 2.5.1 From Existing Computer Onto A Replacement?

Created: 18 Jan 2013 • Updated: 22 Jan 2013 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I'm part of IT Support on a college campus using licensed GSS 2.5.1 for up to 4,500 clients.

One of our several Ghost Consoles resides on a PC (XP sp3 32 bit) servicing over 200 PCs which we're trying to decommission and we'd like to transfer this consoles' contents (database, etc.) over onto a newer PC model (Windows Server 2008 R2 sp1 64bit).

The existing clients had their "Ghost Client" installed within an image we use for deployment and the "Clone" flag was set.

The current existing "Ghost Console" has a "static IP".  It's been taken off the network (but its' contents are still intact) and that same "static IP" has been assigned to the newer PC.  A backup can be performed on the original (if necessary), it's just no longer broadcasting over the network.  Installed GSS 2.5.1 successfully but the existing clients are not being recognized by this newer computer.

What do I need to do to transfer over the original Console's database, etc. (hopefully resuming contact with my existing clients)?

Found Tech110251 Symantec article and made what appeared to be a successful automated backup "cab" file (using backupdb.wsf) but when I went to restore it (restoredb.wsf) on the new computer, I received a DOS window whereby steps were being executed and stopped at a "Windows Script Host" window stating "MakeCab failed to build the output cabinet, backup not taken".

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

ballen's picture

Hi,

My problem was solved by using the scripts provided by Nigel Bree (https://code.google.com/p/gss-scripts/) discovered in other similar forum posts.  Both backupdb.wsf & restoredb.wsf worked for me.

Though I was using the scripts provided within GSS 2.5.1 and they were supposed to work according to Symantec documentation, they didn't.  Don't know why but I'm thankful to him.

SOLUTION
EdT's picture

Check out the scripts posted by Nigel Bree, former Ghost developer, at https://code.google.com/p/gss-scripts. Look for the backupdb and restoredb scripts.  Don't use the scripts included in Ghost as the updated ones posted by Nigel actually work.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.