Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  How do I set an unmanaged clients firewall rules to "log"? SEP 11.0.5

Posted Mar 10, 2010 12:56 PM
    Hello -

I have a small number of unmanaged clients that were installed from the CD1 folder and won't be managed by SEPM.    We were entering the NTP firewall rules in the client's UI and noticed that there are buttons for "allow" and "deny" but nothing for "log".

We want to have a generic rule at the bottom of all of the firewall rules to set to "log" for the time being, eventually it will be set to "deny".

Is there a way in the unmanaged client's UI to set a rule to log only without having to use SEPM?   Does anyone know the default action in unmanaged client if you don't specify "log".  For example will all allow and denys be logged by default?

Thanks ---

• 2.  RE: How do I set an unmanaged clients firewall rules to "log"? SEP 11.0.5
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 10, 2010 01:17 PM
     By default an Unmanaged client logs all actions/event by Network Threat Protection.

• 3.  RE: How do I set an unmanaged clients firewall rules to "log"? SEP 11.0.5

Posted Mar 10, 2010 01:24 PM
    If you have sepm
    you can configure that in policy
    export a package as an unmanaged client and select the option to export polices from that particular group..
    This would help you to log though its unmanaged. 

• 4.  RE: How do I set an unmanaged clients firewall rules to "log"? SEP 11.0.5

Posted Mar 11, 2010 02:03 AM
    Select that particular rule(In client GUI status tab ----->NTP--->options---->configure firewall rule), click on edit in the general tab you will get the option as "record this traffic in the packet log" select it.In the sane tab you will get the option for allow or deny this traffic.

• 5.  RE: How do I set an unmanaged clients firewall rules to "log"? SEP 11.0.5

Posted Mar 16, 2010 01:41 PM

I think Vikram is correct - after reviewing the logs it appears that the unmanaged client logs by all events by default.  

The other solutions are technically correct as well.