Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  How to do an inplace upgrade with Ghost solution suite 2.5.1

Posted Dec 16, 2014 08:31 AM

Hi All,

I have my licenses for ghost but have never used it before, i have the console and everything installed on a 2012 server and i have the Ghost client installed on my test machine.

What i need to be able to do is an inplace upgrade from Widows XP to Windows 7 but i havent a clue where to start.

Please help.

• 2.  RE: How to do an inplace upgrade with Ghost solution suite 2.5.1

Posted Dec 16, 2014 08:32 AM

Forgot to add, once i have figured this out i will be rolling this out to about 150 machines so would like to be able to do more than one machine at a time if possible.

• 3.  RE: How to do an inplace upgrade with Ghost solution suite 2.5.1

Posted Dec 16, 2014 09:32 AM

Do you have a volume MAK key for Windows 7, or will you be using a KMS server for licensing?

Have you run liveupdate to bring your Ghost environment up to 11.5.1.2266 ?  (This presumes your licenses are for Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 and you have licenses for all 150 machines).

• 4.  RE: How to do an inplace upgrade with Ghost solution suite 2.5.1

Posted Dec 16, 2014 10:20 AM

If Im reading the original post correctly, how is Ghost going to do an "upgrade"?

• 5.  RE: How to do an inplace upgrade with Ghost solution suite 2.5.1

Posted Dec 16, 2014 11:25 AM

@Steve - I would assume a full image overwrite of the XP operating system with Win 7 - probably upgrade is a bit misleading as you cannot upgrade XP to Win 7, only replace.

• 6.  RE: How to do an inplace upgrade with Ghost solution suite 2.5.1

Posted Dec 17, 2014 08:58 AM

Hi Yes we will be using a mac key for win 7 and we have all licenses already. 

• 7.  RE: How to do an inplace upgrade with Ghost solution suite 2.5.1

Posted Dec 17, 2014 11:55 AM

There are several articles associated with this forum which you can no doubt make some use of, but in essence, you will need to create a gold image on one machine and ideally run sysprep to get the image ready for cloning.  Then make an image with Ghost, prepare the disks on the target machines and write the image to the target machines.  This assumes all the machines are identical hardware.

If the machines are different. you will need to use the Ghost tools to add a driver library into the build so that the correct drivers are available for each machine when it first tries to boot.  If all this is new to you, consider getting someone in to help you, or at least read the Ghost documentation from cover to cover, as this process is complex and takes a while to understand fully.