How does Backup Exec 2012 Dedup works in deep
Is there any techical bulletin or white paper explaining the Dedup mechanism in Backup Exec 2012 ?
I know that target Dedup, i.e. Datadomain won't reduce the backup window, as the work on the client side will still be the same as with regular storage.
I have quite some questions about dedup. I couldn't find easy answers in Symantec resources:
- Am I right in thinking that source dedup will reduce the backup window on servers ?
- What is the overhead for Dedup ?
- What is precessing to the dedup ? the agent on the protected server or the Media server before writing data to disks ?
- Are the data re-hydrated when written to tapes ?
- What if we use a dedup storage like Datadomain. Can we have source dedup from symantec and target dedup from Datadomain ? does it gives any advantage ?
A live webcast on dedup could be great at some other time as they are usually (10amPST). This is too late for Central Europe.