Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  How to Encrypt Removable Storage using SEEM 11.0?

Posted Feb 19, 2015 08:55 PM

Hi,

I've installed the SEE Mgmt Agent, Drive Encryption Client and Removable Media Encryption Client on a laptop.

The hard drive has already been encrypted.

When I put in a USB stick, I see the message "Symantec Removal Media Access Utility has been copied", but I'm not

prompted to encrypt the stick and I don't see an option to do so anywhere.

When I go to the SEE Mgmt Agent, under the "Removable Media" Tab only has "Default Password" as an option.

When I put the stick into another computer that doesnt have the Client or Agents installed, the stick comes up without

a password prompt or anything of the kind.

What am I missing?

This is a trial license version BTW, if that matters. THE SEEM Server is on Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter.

The client laptop has Windows 7 Pro.

Thank for your help.

James

• 2.  RE: How to Encrypt Removable Storage using SEEM 11.0?

Posted Feb 19, 2015 10:10 PM

refer 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/symcEE_11.0.0_RemovableMedia_GettingStarted_en.pdf

• 3.  RE: How to Encrypt Removable Storage using SEEM 11.0?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 20, 2015 04:19 AM

Essentially, SEE-RS uses file based encryption.  It does not encrypt the entire USB stick, but rather individual files.

Assuming your RS policy is configured for it, any files you copy to the USB stick should be automatically encrypted, during which you are asked for a (default) password to encrypt them by.  SEE-RS asks for the password on the file copy, not on plugging in the drive.

Other options available in the RS policy include allowing users to rightclick on files on removeable storage and encrypting/decrypting them.

Once connected to a machine without SEE-RS, the encrypted files are unreadable.  At this point you need to fire up the SEE Access Utilty to decrypt the files.

• 4.  RE: How to Encrypt Removable Storage using SEEM 11.0?

Posted Feb 26, 2015 03:02 PM

SMLatC ST,

Thank you very much for clearing up that bit of confusion!

Thanks!