Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  How exactly do I set up FTP backup of an 8300 Control Center? (version 7.7)

Posted Jan 24, 2009 12:23 AM

Hi all.

I have a Microsoft FTP server. I set up an FTP virtual directory named BRIGHTMAIL01 that is pointing to D:\brightmail_bak\brightmail01 directory.

What exactly do I put in the path field for FTP backup?

The manual and the help file shows to put something like this:

//home//username//backups//

what's with double forward slashes?

What is home supposed to be?

what's up with the username? I have a username that I am putting into the User Name field.

• 2.  RE: How exactly do I set up FTP backup of an 8300 Control Center? (version 7.7)

Posted Jan 24, 2009 06:20 AM

Hi,

For taking a backup on your ftp server you need to only specify the / path.

• 3.  RE: How exactly do I set up FTP backup of an 8300 Control Center? (version 7.7)

Posted Jan 24, 2009 06:17 PM

Thanks.

I have tried this to. For some reason no matter what I try, the backup ends up being written on the FTProot which is on the C: drive and it kills disk space on C:

• 4.  RE: How exactly do I set up FTP backup of an 8300 Control Center? (version 7.7)

Posted Jan 26, 2009 11:25 AM

Hello Andrey,

The document below should go through all the needed steps in order to backup using FTP. Let me know if you still have any issues.

Title: 'How to back up and restore the Brightmail database of a Symantec Mail Security 8200 Series or 8300 Series appliance using an FTP server'

Hope this helps!

Tom

• 5.  RE: How exactly do I set up FTP backup of an 8300 Control Center? (version 7.7)

Posted Jan 26, 2009 11:37 AM

Thanks.

I actually read this doc the other day and it only shows how to do the backup via command line.

I need to schedule the job in the Web-based GUI.

I actually got it to work yesterday. The trick was to not user the same string for FTP username and FTP virtual directory name. When they matched, Microsoft FTP acted quite differently and all my backups ended up in the FTPRoot.

So I configured FTP virtual directory name as BRIGHTMAIL01

I created a local user on the FTP server with name brightmail_bak; this is the user  name I supply in the Web GUI.

Also in the Web GUI, I supply this for the path:

/BRIGHTMAIL01/