Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

• 1.  How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 22, 2014 04:01 AM

Hi folks!

I want to know if there's any possibility to export a single exe Installer package from SEPM for SEP 12.1.4 without our company license so that a client that is installed from this package is basically unlicensed and useless as long as it is connected to SEPM for the first time and receive our company license.

The reason I ask is because I'm not comfortable to leave a licensed software out of my hand to support technicians or even regular users and don't know what they're using it for. I would like to avoid that anybody who is able to access the installation package is just able to install it to their private machines and use our company license without justification.

Furthermore can somebody explain what the purpose of the "Never expires" license file sep_NE.slf is, which is automatically included in any exported package?

Thanks for your replies.

• 2.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 22, 2014 04:44 AM

When you export SEP client single exe sep license available that package.you can export msi package and remove sep license that package.

Never expiring license

Intent of this license is to provide licensing to unmanaged clients.

•  Applicable to both  Small Business Edition and Enterprise Edition.

•  Unmanaged clients always work with the never expiring license.

•  Has no expiration date.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/sep-121-and-license-concept

• 3.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 22, 2014 04:52 AM

Exporting a package does not cost a license, when you install the client and when client talks to SEPM then there will be use of license file

If you make a client not to communicate with SEPM , say like blocking the communication port or scrambling the sylink file it would not cost a license. there are ways to do it. if you are usign SEP better to use license.

article to help you out

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/sep-121-and-license-concept

• 4.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 22, 2014 05:38 AM

Just export an unmanaged install. See here:

Exporting client installation packages

• 5.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 22, 2014 05:57 AM

I have created a msi installation package and removed the license files (sep.slf and sep_NE.slf) already and installed it on a client for testing.
    The SEP is then nevertheless fully functional, is able to use LiveUpdate and seems to be utilizable for an indefinite period although there is no license file present in ProgramData...Data\Config folder. Is that correct?
    From a technical perspective that would mean that any SEP exported package can be used as a regular AntiVirus software forever without valid license?

• 6.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 22, 2014 06:02 AM

To enable the submission of reputation data from an unmanaged client, you must install a paid license on the client. Use the following procedure to install a license on an unmanaged client

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55368

• 7.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 22, 2014 06:13 AM

If you export unmanaged, it will contain a different licensing setup than what you would normally have if it connected to the SEPM.

See ths link for details:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81071

• 8.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 22, 2014 07:21 AM

You can it would not complain about license, sepm 12.1 SMB will not download defs if there is no license, sep enterprise will download but would show warning

There are two SEP products i.e Small Business Edition & Enterprise Edition

Types of enforcement

When the license goes out of compliance the Symantec Endpoint Protection product goes into enforcement mode. There are two types of enforcement

1)  Hard Enforcement: SEP 12.1 Small Business Edition

• Content update downloads stop for both server and clients.In Small Business Edition it's 1:1 mapping with CAT server.
    • UI changes and log notifications are started.

2)  Soft Enforcement: SEP 12.1 Enterprise Edition

•  Content update downloads continue from all the sources.
    •  UI changes and log notifications are started. 

In your case it must be Enterprise Edition, Clients and servers are still protected even though number is exceeded..

In Enterprise Edition there would be not be any impact on the product functioning.

• 9.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 22, 2014 07:55 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

There are two types of Enforcement.

When the license goes out of compliance the Symantec Endpoint Protection product goes into enforcement mode. There are two types of enforcement

1)  Hard Enforcement: SEP 12.1 Small Business Edition

• Content update downloads stop for both server and clients.In Small Business Edition it's 1:1 mapping with CAT server.
    • UI changes and log notifications are started.

2)  Soft Enforcement: SEP 12.1 Enterprise Edition

•  Content update downloads continue from all the sources.
    •  UI changes and log notifications are started.

As James said, To enable the submission of reputation data from an unmanaged client, you must install a paid license on the client.

I will suggest to block user access to the SEP installed folder or entire drive instead of removing SEP license.

• 10.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 23, 2014 02:58 AM

Please allow me to summarize:

I want to install only managed clients, no unmanaged ones. In some cases it is neccesary to issue a single exe installer to IT support personnel for manually installing SEP because in these cases it is not possible to use our deployment systems from technical reasons.
    I want to avoid that this installer may be used on non-company PCs which would violate our company license. So I want to exclude our paid license from the installer and SEP shall register automatically to our SEPM and only after that receive our company license and activate.

What would be the best way to achieve that goal?

The following option seems to be the most suitable for me:

• Export SEP managed Client package from SEPM as msi.
    • Manually removing sep.slf and sep_NE.slf from the created package folder.
    • Packing this folder to a single exe file.

Is that correct? Which tool can be used to make a single exe installer file from the whole msi Folder like SEPM does when you export directly to exe file in the Export Package wizard?

• 11.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

• 12.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 23, 2014 11:48 AM

Do you have any hint for me which tool is most suitable for that as most tools I've seen so far are able to add files only but no folders to a msi package? The software which is mentioned in the article above is either not available anymore or requires purchase.

• 13.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 23, 2014 12:01 PM

Check this 3rd party tool for convert MSI to exe.

http://www.abyssmedia.com/msitoexe/

Please check first in Test Environment.

• 14.  RE: How to export single exe Installation package of SEP 12.1.4 without paid license

Posted Jan 24, 2014 03:09 AM

Sorry but this one is still able to include the single msi file only, not the zipped files and folders which belongs to the package.
    I'll use the msi folder as it is (will only remove the sep.slf and sep_NE.slf files) and publish it as zipped file to the support personnel.

Thank you all for your efforts.