How to: get visual studio 2010 captured
I did this using a global capture on winxp, fully patched with .net4 installed in the base.
- Before capture, install the msi update from WCU\MSI\WindowsXP-KB958655-v2-x86-ENU.exe to prevent a reboot
- Begin Capture and start the setup of the trial edition, very important!
- Deselect the extra's, dotfusciator, office tools, sql server and another one I can't remember, just install the IDE with the proglanguages you want.
- Drink your favorite beverage and play with your smartphone for a while
- Install SP1
- Take a leak
- Stop the Capture
- Reboot your capturemachine to clean up filelocks
Note: I do the cleanup through the explorer and regedit, as the puny swv editor is too small and has a tendency to hang. Find the RO layernumber through the detail view of the admin end just browse with the explorer through C:\fslrdr\<ROLayer>. For the registry, just open the layer for editting in the swv admin and start regedit. The RO reglayer is at HKLM\_SWV_LAYER_<ROLayer>.
- Remove the usual miscellaneous junk stuff
- Remove [Windir]\Assembly\NativeImages_*
- Remove [windir]\prefetch
- Remove [windir]\inf
- Remove [windir]\Installer\$patchcache$ and [windir]\Installer\*.*, not the icon files in the GUID subdirs. Remove HKC\Installer and HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer.
- Remove [PROGRAMFILES]\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0a\bootstrapper\packages\ as you see fit. It contains packages to include in distribution.
- Remove HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NET Framework\v2.0.50727\NgenService
- Remove HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion
- Remove HKLM\SAM
- Remove everything form the user specific sections
Now the trick.
If you activate the layer on another machine, it will nag you with the 'invalid license' message. With admin priviliges, go to '%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE' and execute 'DDConfigCA.exe'. You will see an enumeration with all '-1's, but after a few moment the next enumeration will show some filled in numbers...now type 'devenv.exe' and you get a freshly activated trial for 29 days!
What you could do now is register it with your license and make a new resetpoint.
There is another option, involving resetting the layer and running the DDConfigCA tool again agter 29 days, but that would be illegal.