How many integrations are there between VMware and Net Backup for virtual machine backup?
I asked one of our leading virtualization experts, Gerorge Winter to get me a list of some of the integrations we have built with VMware. Here is his first pass of a list he just sent me in email. This is the underpinning of the technology that has taken home more Best of VMworld awards for data protection than anyone else. More capabilities are coming for VMworld this year too.
- vStorage API for Data Protection (VADP) – Explicit integration with this backup API
- vCenter server – Credentialed access to the vCenter which provides ability to direct backup activities to the entire vSphere environment through this single point of contact
- ESX server – Direct access to the ESX server for backup or optimized restore functionality
- ESXi server – Direct access to the ESXi server for backup or optimized restore functionality
- Changed Block Tracking (CBT) – Full support of this mechanism to provide true incremental backup and restore functionality
- VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) – Image based backups
- VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) mount API – File level backups
- VMware Converter – Integration provides entire VM restore support for non-VADP (VCB) style of backups
- VDDK SAN Access – Used for direct access to Datastores for true off-host backups. Support for both Fibre and iSCSI based Datastores.
- VDDK SAN Access – Used for direct access to Datastores for true direct to storage restores. Support for both Fibre and iSCSI based Datastores.
- VDDK NBD transport – Network based backups and restores
- VDDK NBDSSL transport – Secure Network based backups and restores
- Hotadd – Virtual Machine based backups and restores
- VDDK Mount API – Part of the Application/Database Granular Restore functionality