Client Management Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Migration User

Migration UserDec 08, 2010 09:50 AM

• 1.  How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 07, 2010 02:48 AM

We are running Altiris Patch managemnt in our environment, these days sql DB size increasing rapidly and the drive in which it is located is out of space.We have only one partition and we are unable to take even back up of DB.

Is there any process of auditing Sql 2005 DB so that I can reduce its size?Please help me out...

Thanks in Advance...

• 2.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 07, 2010 03:55 AM
    1. Identify largest tables via report from SQL Management Studio (right-clicking the DB in question, select Reports - Standard Reports - Disk Usage by Table)
    2. Run Purging for dataclasses/resource history OR Run cleanup for tasks using Purging Maintenance settings from console
    3. Normally this maintenance is automatic, so if DB is growing fast make sure those default tasks are running without problems. Otherwise I would suggest to contact support directly.

• 3.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 07, 2010 06:17 AM

I am totally ran out of space in which the DB is installed.I am unable to open any of the pages and also the notification server which is giving Symantec Management server Error..

Do I need to contact the Symantec support?

• 4.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 07, 2010 07:38 AM

Simple or full? If it's full, set it to simple. What is the size of your temp database? Altiris heavily uses the temp db, so if you start and stop the SQL services, the temp database will shrink. Both of those changes, if you make them, should gain you some disk space to get some work done.

There are so many things to try here, without seeing your system. Start with what Valentin mentioned above. The resource membership or collection update schedule, the basic inventory and agent check in schedule are two agent driven policies. If you are using NS7, you need to look at the task agent schedule as well.

• 5.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 08, 2010 06:34 AM

Recovery model is simple.... and size of tempDB is 27.19 MB.After stopping and starting the SQL services,I could gain only space of 200MB.

When I checked the size of tables in the DB, I found this table is taking huge space

Evt_NS_Client_Config_Generation ------- 58,341.938 MB

Is this table very much required or if I Can delete/Truncate this table?

• 6.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 08, 2010 06:52 AM

Symantec_CMDB.mdf file size is 67.8 GB and size of Symantec_CMDB_log.LDF is 1.37 GB

• 7.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 08, 2010 07:53 AM

truncate most of the evt (event) tables as long as you are not using the data for something. Obviously each time a client sends a configuration request, that particular table would be updated.

Log file seems a little big, but the 70GB CMDB file (how many clients do you have???) worries me more.

• 8.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 08, 2010 09:50 AM

Only patch managemnt is being ued here.

• 9.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 08, 2010 10:25 AM

I would say go ahead and truncate it. You need to get to the logviewer on the server and see what types of errors you are seeing. Normally, when I see this type of behavior, you've got some misconfigured agents that are 'spamming' the server with agent configuration requests.

• 10.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 09, 2010 03:54 AM

After truncating the Evt_NS_Client_Config_Generation table, I could not get much space.oonly 20MB space is avialable

I could find these errors in the log viewer

unable to generate policy for item....

&&&&&

Unable to build the client configuration XML for advertisement with guid {4b936f08-fbd0-4814-8963-4829f0e69388}. Reason: Did not get a row for Software Delivery Advertisement ""windowsserver2003.windowsxp-kb2286198-x64-enu.exe for MS10-025, MS10-046, MS10-049, MS10-051, MS10-052, MS10-053, MS10-054, MS10-055, MS10-056, MS10-060"", Guid = {4b936f08-fbd0-4814-8963-4829f0e69388} from the SWD tables..","Altiris.PatchManagementCore.Policies.SoftwareUpdateAdvertisement.OnBuildClientConfigXml2","w3wp","19"

• 11.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 09, 2010 04:42 AM

that I can decrease the size of primary .mdf file which is almost 70gb.

If i can identify and unistall the agnets that are sending more requests , will that decrease the size of DB.

I am totally out of things to do as I have no spcae available on my disk(its almost zero)to run any report in sql server....

• 12.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 13, 2010 12:57 AM

I traced one table and performedthe truncate operation on it and removed all the records.I did not get the free space that comes available after removind the records until I performed the Shrink Operation.What can be the reason?

After truncate do we need to perform any other tasks other than restarting the DB?

• 13.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 13, 2010 08:22 AM

only reduces the size of the table in relation the rest of the database. The space is still considered 'taken up', or at least fragmented. I don't often have to use shrink, but it is an option. The other option is to have a solid database defrag and optimization plan in place.

• 14.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 27, 2010 05:01 AM

I am unable to find the misconfigured agents that are causing this problem.We have proxy server in our environment and do I need to add the proxy server details in the serve/agent communication tab of Notification server..?

I ther any way that we could find the misconfigured agents..?

Actually during the initial installation of agents we have used the default URL(PULL method) then we found that the agent is unable to resolve with the hostname so we added the alternate url using the IP address.Then all the agents are able to communicate and register with the server.But suddenly from past 2 months I found that the DB is growing abnormally mainly with the getting configuration EVnt table.Why is this happening suddenly..?

• 15.  RE: How to perform Sql Server 2005 DataBase Auditing.....?

Posted Dec 29, 2010 06:44 AM
      |   view attached

When I used the RAAD tool to diagnose the client it was giving an error saying that could not connect to the computer and do you admin rights... I am attaching the screen shot of the error.Please look into that...