How to recover root password (root disk is encapsulated and mirrored)
I have forgotten root password.
I need to know the procedure to recover root password.
My server has Veritas volume manager and root disk is encapsulated and mirrored.
Note: I can't use the below procedure because server goes in panic mode as root disk is encapsulated and mirrored.
Sun Sparc System
1. Break signal from ILOM to bring system in OK system.
2. insert solaris DVD
3. boot cdrom -s (Single user mode)
4. Identify boot disk
format <find c#t#d# format of boot disk>
example disk@0,0:a --a--slice 0
now run fsck on root disk.
5.mount /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /a
6. TERM=vt100; export TERM
7. echo $TERM
8. vi /a/etc/shadow
9. remove root password by removing the data between 1st and 2nd collon for root username.
10. cd /
12. root password is blank so just press ENTER to login.
13. more /etc/shadow
14. passwd (to change root passward).
15. logout and login with new passward.
Please provide the well tested and standard procedure for my environment.
Thanks in advance.