Video Screencast Help

How to restore database SQL 2005 to SQL 2008.

Created: 24 Jun 2013 | 1 comment

Hi everybody... I'm a Netbackup newbie. I have a problem when I want to restore a database with data from an application that is on a SQL 2005 and I want to restore this database on a SQL 2008.

I will explain the case, I have 2 servers one with Windows 2003 and SQL 2005 and other with Windows 2008 and SQL 2008. The databases containing application data is on Windows 2003 with SQL 2005, I want to restore this database on Windows 2008 with SQL 2008.
This is possible to do, or not supported by Netbackup?
If possible, I need you send me a step by step how to perform this procedure, and if not possible, a document of symantec to comment that such cases are not supported. Do not want to perform a restore of system databases.
Thank you and regards.
Operating Systems:

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

Yasuhisa Ishikawa's picture

Restore to SQL Server instance of different version is not supported. Migration is matter of SQL Server , and it should be done by steps supported by SQL Server itself.

By NetBackup 7.5 for MS SQL Server Administrator's Guide page 132:

Restoring an existing installation of SQL Server with other active databases

For the purposes of disaster recovery, you should only restore to a new installation
of SQL Server. However, you can restore an existing installation of SQL Server
with other active databases. The server should be running the same version of
Windows on the same hardware platform. It also should be running the same
Service Pack level: the same version of SQL Server with the same service pack as
the original server.

Authorized Symantec Consultant(ASC) Data Protection in Tokyo, Japan