Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

How to restore Exchange 2003 edb file from backup

Created: 04 Oct 2013 | 5 comments

Product is BE 2010 SP3 Rev.5204

I need to restore from backup an Exchange 2003 edb file so I can extract some old e-mail. The Exchange 2003 server itself is no longer in service. I'd perfer to redirect the files to a Windows 2008 Storage Server system with adequte drive space (and not in the OS (C:\) partition), but when I attempt to restore the file, instead of restoring files there, it creates a C:\$BackupExecDefaultData$\$ShadowCopyComponentsRedirection$\ folder structure. Which won't work since I don't have the 300GB of space on that C: drive.

How do I redirect the files to the E: drive?

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

Hmm slight concern here - when the backup of Exchange was done, was AOFO enabled? If AOFO is enabled that creates a snapshot backup of Exchange which does have some restore limitations if the version of Exchange is 2003.

Also BE has always had an active file exclusion against EDB files themselves - as such I assume that you did originally perform an Exchange agent backup and not attempt to just backup the edb from the file system?

SDI We're There's picture

AOFO was not enabled. And yes, I did use the Exchange agent to backup the edb file.

Rahul Kumar1's picture

. If Exchange 2003 backup was a non Snapshot backup then you can not restore it to a drive. This means edb files can not be restored as a flat files. The only option we have is to Install Exchange 2003, then create Recovery Storage Group and then restore the database to a Recovery Storage Group.

Thanks

SDI We're There's picture

It was a snapshot backup, or that what I assume so from the following screenshot:

RestoreSelection.jpg

I had thought I had restored from backup once before sucessfully, but I don't have my notes as to what I did to make it happen.

CraigV's picture

Hi,

You should see Information Store, but did you perhaps do a brick-level backup instead of an information store backup?

Otherwise check the article I wrote below and try to duplicate to disk...this will give you the *.edb which you can crack open using something like Kernel For Exchange.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...