Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

How to Restore exchange server 2003 mailbox to different exchange server

Created: 14 Feb 2013 | 7 comments

Dear Support Team,

I am using backup exec 2010 to take the backup of exchange server 2003 and can easily restore the mailbox to the same exchange server. I have installed one more exchange server to restore the database in case if the current exchange server goes down. I am missing some steps to restore. Can you please provide the exact steps how to restore the mailbox on different server.

Regards.

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Solution4all's picture

Hi,

Create a Storage Group on the New Exchange server with the same name as the Storage Group the Mailbox Store is in on the original server.

Create Mailbox store with the same name.

In restore job properties Select Microsoft Exchange Redirection>Put new Server name and run the restore.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO24073

Thanks,

pkh's picture

Definitely.  Otherwise, you cannot do the restore.

Solution4all's picture

I beleave you already have Exchange agent installed on Media server(Backup Exec Server).

If you are planing to use same media server for restore to new exchange server. You need to install Remote agent on new exchange server.

pkh's picture

Without another Exchange licence for the new server, he would be violating licencing terms.

Solution4all's picture

Not sure looks like he will restore if original server goes down. "I have installed one more exchange server to restore the database in case if the current exchange server goes down." If that is the case he wouldn't be violating licencing terms.

We can not have a users mailbox attached to two diffrent exchange servers. At a time only one exchange server needs to be online.

pkh's picture

When you install a software on a server, in this case a remote agent, it can be construed as being used, thus violating licencing terms.