Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

how to restore SEPM 12.1.x previous backup with sql database to a separate windows 7 machine. But the current SEPM running is using same hostname and IP address

• 1.  how to restore SEPM 12.1.x previous backup with sql database to a separate windows 7 machine. But the current SEPM running is using same hostname and IP address

Posted Aug 30, 2015 05:45 AM

Hi,

Currently I have Windows 2008 R2 running SEPM 12.1.4 connected to the domain with hostname X and IP address Y. Windows authentication used to connect SEPM to the existing database.

I am requested to analyze the computer status report of previous years of which the current SEPM running does not contain the previous years logs so I decided to restore the archived backup.

While trying to restore the SEPM backup, I remembered that the previous SEPM backup credentials are the same as the current SEPM with same hostname X and IP address Y. I do not remember to have input the sql database authentication while installing previous SEPM but instead I used Windows Authentication option. Using a window 7 laptop, the backup restoration completed and started configuring the SEPM, input database information and windows authentication required then database initialization started after sometimes it stopped and returned the database configuration window........................Please assist what could be the problem?

Questions:

1. Do I need to install sql server 2005 or better version in the windows 7 laptop? Because I did not install any before starting restoration process. But I checked from services and saw only one sql service available running.

2. While doing the restoration process; the windows 7 laptop was connected in the domain and I login using the domain user account which authenticate the SEPM with the database. Is this a correct way? The existing SEPM with the same hostname X and IP address Y is also running in the domain during this process

3. While configuring the SEPM for restoration purpose on a windows 7 machine, do I need to create a new database or use existing simply because it is same hostname and IP address and the current SEPM is still running?

4. What could be the best practices to do this?

5. Using the same windows 7 machine, I restored previous archived backups and configured SEPM and all these installations went successfully BUT this backup used was embedded database. After successful installation; I managed to generate computer status report of previous year (month). I decided to use another archived backup of the next couple of months to get the required reports. The one generated from the restored embedded database was not containing enough information required.

Let me know if further clarification is required to understand my scenario and what has been done so far.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: how to restore SEPM 12.1.x previous backup with sql database to a separate windows 7 machine. But the current SEPM running is using same hostname and IP address

Posted Aug 31, 2015 02:21 PM

Was there an error thrown?

Did you try 'domain\username' for authentication? It will fail without the 'domain\' first